This is an rare opportunity to help with the extensive health research projects within the Kpando Municipality. This research was a community-based assessment of health needs in the Kpando District. The outcomes showed that there is a high burden of disease caused by infectious diseases. It also showed that access to health care is low due to financial and geographical restraints. There is a lack of adequate equipment, staff, training and drugs and a general lack of hygiene. In all communities poverty and lack of knowledge are considered important underlying causes for health problems and it was recommended to provide health information and education to community members.
Volunteers will be contributing their time and efforts in the following research areas:
- HIV/Aids awareness
- health education
- disability information
- maternity health
- rural community island health assessments
Volunteers will participate in home visits, school drama presentations, information gathering on the topics above, interviewing local people in the community. You will work closely with the local health care facilities, the local ambulance staff, local schools and other local NGOs. Volunteers will be placed depending on their skills, experience and the needs of the ongoing projects. (not all research runs year round). All projects are designed, implemented and evaluated in cooperation with community members, local authorities and volunteers. Every year projects are reviewed to assure applicability and continuity.
- Volta placements transportation cost is $180 to be added to your invoice. This is a 4-5 hour journey which may include local bus/lake crossing weather dependent
Volunteer Opportunities: PreMed Programs
- Project Length: From 2 week to 8 weeks
- Arrival Airport: Accra (Code: ACC)
- Work Schedule: Monday to Friday 8 hours per day
- Requirements: Tourist Visa. Ground transportation cost $180
- Age Limits: Minimum 17yrs or older for solo travelers.
- Minimum Age: 12 to 16 yrs if traveling with parents.
- Airlines: British Air, Delta, United, KLM, Lufthansa
- Vaccinations: Yellow Fever, Malaria, Hep A, typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov
- Accommodation: Home Stay or onsite in Orphanage
- Meals: Breakfast, lunch and dinner daily
- Arrival: Airport meet and greet. Overnight in Accra.
- Orientation: Project Overview and Orientation
- Support: Pre-trip written guide, In-country ABV staff available 24/7
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Flights to Ghana. Entry Visa. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet