Volunteer in Nepal, this program is recommended for trained medical and nursing professionals, as well as student nurses, PA students and medical students. In this program volunteers learn firsthand the reality of the medical challenges in a developing country. Volunteers have observed in the surgery ward, helping with changing bandages, assisted with wound care, shadowed on rounds in emergency and maternity areas.
Volunteer in a community hospital dedicated in providing quality health services to poor, destitute and under-served people in Kathmandu. With about 60 beds this hospital has both in-patient and out-patient services. The hospital staff perform regular surgeries and there is also 24/7 emergency and ambulatory service available.
Volunteer Opportunities: Medical Programs
- Project Length: 1 or 12 week placements
- Project dates: Year round. Choose any date to arrive.
- Arrival airport: Kathmandu (KTM)
- Accommodation: Local host family
- Meals: Breakfast and dinner daily
- Airlines: Turkish Air, Qatar Air, Malaysian Airways, Air India, Jet Airways, Thai Air, Ethiad
- Vaccinations: Typhoid and Hep A wwwnc.cdc.gov
- Program starts and ends in Kathmandu
- Airport meet and greet in Kathmandu. Next day orientation and city tour
- 30-40 hours per week including community outreach visits
- Weekends free to sightseeing
- Support: Local ABV Director support 24/7 during placement
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Must be licensed/certified or currently enrolled in medical/nursing school.
- Medical scrubs (white preferred) or lab jacket. Basic examination equipment: gloves, stethoscope
- $200 supply/donation fee for all medical placements. This extra fee is collected during the final payment. Will be for hospital administration fee and to organize outreach visits & donations.
Note: It is recommended all the volunteers to take Nepali language class which includes Nepali dental terms and help in effective communication during the placement with the staff and patient.
- Flights to Nepal. Entry Visa. Departure taxes. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet
EXTRA - NOT INCLUDED ACTIVITIES:
- UNESCO Heritage car/ bike tour full day/half day
- Hiking guide hire Horse riding
- Nepali Dance Class Nepali language learning (basic/intermediate/advance level)
- Trekking around the Himalayas.