Volunteers with medical/nursing training are welcome to join this project. You will be assigned to a local registered medical professional/staff (trainer). To participate in a medical mission you must submit a copy of your certifications, or letter from their medical/nursing school confirming enrollment.
You will be able to rotate through departments at a busy orthopedic hospital. For in-patient care there are 75 beds, including 6 beds for post-operative patients. Out-patient department sees about 100 patients daily. Volunteers may have the chance to scrub in and observe surgery. The most common being general trauma surgery, pediatric clubfoot surgery, spinal surgeries, arthroscopy, and hand, foot and ankle surgeries which are done routinely by the surgical team.
- Medical volunteers required to pay US$100 monthly administrative fee for the Nepal hospital. This extra fee is collected by ABV during the final payment.
- White scrubs are required, white comfortable shoes or white sneakers and bring basic tools as: oximeter, stethoscope, strip thermometer, gloves, mask, cleaning wipes, blue & red pens.
Volunteer Opportunities: Health Care Programs
- Project Length: From 1 week to 12 weeks
- Project dates: Year round. Choose any date to arrive.
- Arrival airport: Kathmandu (KTM)
- Accommodation: Homestay/Shared Guesthouse
- Meals: Breakfast and dinner daily
- Airlines: Qatar, Air India, Jet Airways, Thai Air, Ethiad
- Vaccinations: Typhoid and Hep A wwwnc.cdc.gov
- Program starts and ends in Kathmandu
- Airport meet and greet in Kathmandu. Afternoon city tour and orientation
- Monday to Friday volunteering. 35-40 hours per week
- Weekends free to sightseeing
- Typical shift work: 4 hours in morning, 4 hours in the afternoon
- Support: Local ABV Director support 24/7 during placement
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Flights to Nepal. Entry Visa. Departure taxes. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet
|Asia / US$|
|Nepal - Nepali Immersion||1050||1310||1650||1950|
Any extra week of “accommodation and meals” will be US$210/week after week 4 until week 12, more Nepali lessons can be paid locally to the coordinator.
A Broader View Volunteer (ABV) allows every traveler to choose their own program start date. This means you can arrive on any flight, any day of the week. Since ABV program fees are 100% tax deductible* we encourage you to fund raise. ABV offers advice and assistance with flight planning, affordable travel insurance, as well as procuring a visa, if necessary. Our ABV staff is available to any your questions. Contact us by email, through the on-line chat feature on our website or call us toll free at 866-423-3258.
WHAT DO MY FEES PAY FOR?
Volunteer Registration Fee – ongoing support from ABV staff, program marketing costs, information pack, administration costs, ABV donation Fund, travel costs to inspect programs and communication costs with volunteers.
Volunteer Program Fee – ABV donation fund, airport pick-up, orientation, program supervision, accommodation and meals during volunteer program period, in-country 24/7 volunteer support and in-country administration costs. As a US Non-Profit Charity Organization all your fees are tax deductible and you can fundraise from our website to pay for the fees.