Volunteer in Tanzania at a medical center based in Arusha focused on supporting children afflicted with HIV/AIDs. This program is helping hundreds of families living with HIV/Aids and those suffering from malnutrition. Working with a local grassroots organization you will see how one person can truly help and change the life of someone in need.
Undergraduates, pre-medical and pre-nursing students are welcome, and those studying public health and those with social work experience.
Volunteers may be asked to distribute food and medicine and accompany children to the clinic for health checks. Volunteers have participated in outreach home visits projects in the community. We recommend you learn a few words and phrases of Swahili.
*Volunteers need a Tourist Visa to enter Tanzania (US$100) you can get it at the Tanzania airport. *Once in the country all volunteers must apply for a “Volunteer Permit” is US$250. All participants in the Tanzania program must secure a permit to volunteer.z
- Project length: From 1 week to 8 weeks
- Project start date: Projects begin every Tuesday. Arrival Sunday or Monday
- Airport Arrival: Kilimanjaro (Code: JRO)
- Work Schedule: Monday to Friday 6-8 hours per day
- Requirements: Tourist Visa and Volunteer Permit, Hospital fees: US$100
- Age Limits: Minimum 18 years or older for solo travelers
- Minimum Age: 12 to 16 yrs if traveling with parents.
- Airlines: KLM, Delta, Emirates, Ethiopian and Qatar
- Vaccinations: Yellow Fever, Malaria (Malarone pills recommended), Hep A, typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov
- Program starts and ends in Arusha (JRO airport)
- Airport meet and greet. Afternoon city tour and orientation
- Monday to Friday volunteering. 30-40 hours per week
- Weekends free to sightseeing
- Typical shift work hours are 8am-12pm and 2pm-6pm
- Support: Local ABV Director support 24/7 during placement
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Accommodation: Volunteer House
- Meals: Breakfast and dinner daily
- Flights to Tanzania. Entry Visa. Hospital fees: US$100, Departure taxes. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet. Sightseeing.