Volunteer in Ghana and support the community efforts to eradicate poor health conditions and poverty. Poverty causes poor health in that without proper resources, treatable diseases such as diarrhea, malaria, tuberculosis, HIV/AIDS, and others contribute to disability and mortality within Ghana.
Given the limited resources it is difficult for the hardworking staff to provide basic health care for everyone in the area. This program is suitable for those conducting internships (public health) as well as students and professionals interested in public health in a developing nation.
Volunteers will be part of the public health team outreach & research projects which travels and conducts health talks to the students at district schools. All projects are designed, implemented and evaluated in cooperation with community members, local authorities and volunteers.
The Kasoa health programs aim to lift people out of poverty by:
- Promoting health education
- Reducing illiteracy
- Helping to eradicate treatable disease
- Promoting HIV/AIDS awareness
- Promoting gender equality
Volunteer Opportunities: Public Health/Education (Pre-medical)
- Project Length: From 1 week to 8 weeks
- Arrival Airport: Accra (Code: ACC)
- Work Schedule: Monday to Friday 7 hours per day
- Requirements: Tourist Visa. Expect semi-rural living conditions
- Age Limits: Minimum 18yrs or older for solo travelers.
- Airlines: British Air, Delta, United, KLM, Lufthansa
- Vaccinations: Yellow Fever, Malaria, Hep A, typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov
- Accommodation: Volunteer house
- Airport meet and greet in Accra airport
- Weekends free to sightseeing
- Typical shift work hours are 8:00am – 4:00pm with breaks
- Meals: Breakfast, lunch and dinner daily
- Arrival: Airport meet and greet by ABV Staff
- Orientation: Project Overview and Orientation
- Support: Pre-trip written guide, In-country ABV staff available 24/7
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Flights to Ghana. Entry Visa. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet