Volunteer in Costa Rica This park is the most important area in the entire west half of the Caribbean for the nesting of the green turtle. Volunteers participate on the sea turtle preservation including monitoring and registering nesting patterns, record keeping of eggs, moving eggs to the hatchery, beach patrols, freeing of the newborns to the ocean. Experience not required, but anticipate strange work hours (middle of the night!) and lots of time spent on the beach.
Our projects are open to individuals as well as groups. We know that volunteers play a vital role in the conservation efforts: without outside assistance, these projects would be lost. Join them and make a difference!
- Volunteers must arrive to San Jose in the morning or Noon flights, night flights will delay the start of your program by one day.
Important: Arrival flights must be before 10pm (no exceptions) to San Jose and departure flight should be after 1pm. And arrivals/departures only Mondays to Thursdays, Not Saturday or Sunday.
Volunteer opportunities Costa Rica Sea Turtles
- Project length: From 2 weeks to 6 weeks
- Arrival Airport: San Jose (SJO)
- Work Schedule: 6-8 hours per day, 6 days a week
- Requirements: Basic Spanish, independent bus ride to/from project site
- Age Limits: Minimum 18yrs or older for solo travelers.
- Minimum Age: 12 to 17 yrs if traveling with parents.
- Program starts and ends in San Jose
- Airport pick up. Project orientation and first night spent in San Jose.
- Transfer to bus station, including bus ticket to project
- Pick up at bus station and escort to project site on arrival at coast
- 6 days a week work shifts.
- Morning and late night volunteer shifts including night patrols.
- Transfer, bus fare back to San Jose. Pick up, last night in San Jose
- Airport transfer to San Jose Airport provided
- Support: Local ABV Director support 24/7 during placement
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Flights. Entry Visa. Departure taxes. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet