Volunteer Colombia, This program is located in the beach community, located about 25-30 minutes from downtown Cartagena. Most of the people in this area are fisherman and neighborhood homes are quite primitive. This multi-functioning center supports over 300 children/youth on a daily basis where they come to study, play and eat. There are free lunches, kindergarten, primary school lessons, monthly health checks and a safe refuge for poor kids in the community. At this project the staff look to improve the lives of the children and work on the prevention of child trafficking into the sex trade.
Volunteers will tutor, encourage education, stimulate conversation, support the child care needs. The kids at the center range from toddlers to 15yrs old. Expect to help with feeding, arrange pre-school English/game lessons, play in the playground, help in the kitchens. The youth projects focus on girls health education, health and hygiene talks, empowerment lectures and vocational training. This center is closed from June10- June 30th* approx.
Volunteer Colombia Opportunities: Social Welfare Programs
- Project length: From 2 week to 8 weeks
- Project dates: Year Round * Choose any date to arrive.
- Arrival airport: Cartagena (CTG)
- Accommodation: local host family or private dorm room on-site
- Meals: Breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Airlines: Avianca, Jet Blue, Spirit, Copa, American, United
- Vaccinations: Routine Vac, Hep-A and Typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov
- Program starts and ends in Cartagena
- Airport meet and greet in Cartagena. Afternoon city tour and orientation
- Monday to Friday volunteering. 35-40 hours per week
- Weekends free to sightseeing
- Typical shift work can be: 7:30am - 300pm with a break for lunch
- Support: Local ABV Director support 24/7 during placement
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Flights to Colombia. Visas and/or entry-exit fees. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet