Football (soccer) is a passion of most children in Tanzania. However, most children play without basic equipment like shoes, they have no goal nets and most lack direction. Volunteers with football training or basic skills are welcome into the coaching projects in Arusha.
As a volunteer in Tanzania, you will experience a totally different culture and give back to the children by creating organized sports activities. Come share your passion and skills with eager children in this community.
In this program you will participate in football practice sessions including coaches and referees coaching, the evaluation and monitoring of players, players and coaches database development, football tournaments organization, visits to schools for the promotion of football, fundraising and sponsors search and the filming of videos and taking pictures during coaching sessions and games, among other responsibilities.
We highly recommend you to bring your laptop and camera. Donations of sports equipment is needed: most children play football barefoot!
*Volunteers need a Tourist Visa to enter Tanzania (US$100) as of 2016 available for purchase in the airport. *Once in the country volunteers must apply for a “Volunteer Permit” is US$250. All participants in the Tanzania program must secure a permit to volunteer.
- Project length: From 2 weeks to 8 weeks
- Project start date: Projects begin every Tuesday. Arrival Sunday or Monday
- Airport Arrival: Kilimanjaro (Code: JRO)
- Work Schedule: Monday to Friday 6-8 hours per day
- Requirements: Tourist Visa and Volunteer Permit
- Age Limits: Minimum 18 years or older for solo travelers
- Minimum Age: 12 to 16 yrs if traveling with parents.
- Airlines: KLM, Delta, Emirates, Ethiopian and Qatar
- Vaccinations: Yellow Fever, Malaria (Malarone pills recommended), Hep A, typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov
- Program starts and ends in Arusha (JRO airport)
- Airport meet and greet. Afternoon city tour and orientation
- Monday to Friday volunteering. 30-40 hours per week
- Weekends free to sightseeing
- Typical shift work hours are 8am-12pm and 2pm-6pm
- Support: Local ABV Director support 24/7 during placement
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Accommodation: Volunteer House
- Meals: Breakfast and dinner daily
Flights to Tanzania. Entry Visa. Departure taxes. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet. Sightseeing.
Extra Paid Activities while in country:
- Masai Dance Lessons (1 ½ hrs Introduction, Sounds, Choreography, Practice) US$28
- Introduction Swahili (3 hours Basic level: greetings, daily living, Guide book and certification) US$30
- Masai Crafts (2 hours: craft material, bracelets) US$28
- Tanzania Cookery (3 ½ hours includes ingredients, recipe book and certificate) US$28
A Broader View Volunteer (ABV) allows every traveler to choose their own program start date. This means you can arrive on any flight, any day of the week. Since ABV program fees are 100% tax deductible* we encourage you to fund raise. ABV offers advice and assistance with flight planning, affordable travel insurance, as well as procuring a visa, if necessary. Our ABV staff is available to any your questions. Contact us by email, through the on-line chat feature on our website or call us toll free at 866-423-3258.
WHAT DO MY FEES PAY FOR?
Volunteer Registration Fee – ongoing support from ABV staff, program marketing costs, information pack, administration costs, ABV donation Fund, travel costs to inspect programs and communication costs with volunteers.
Volunteer Program Fee – ABV donation fund, airport pick-up, orientation, program supervision, accommodation and meals during volunteer program period, in-country 24/7 volunteer support and in-country administration costs. As a US Non-Profit Charity Organization all your fees are tax deductible and you can fundraise from our website to pay for the fees.