Volunteer Uganda in a village school which has limited means and supplies. Teaching experience is not required. Children attend school without a separation of ages, so you can expect 5-6 year olds with 12 year olds in the same class. You can begin working with some children, teaching English and basic math. Native English speakers are in high demand and volunteers are anxiously welcome at the school.
School terms vary from year to year but semesters dates are approximately:
- February 1 to April 30
- May 20 to August 30
- September 15 to November 15
Volunteers can assist with the physical upkeep of the school; painting, decorating, mending desks etc. Most important volunteers should try to develop activities that can be sustained in the future.
Volunteer Opportunities: Education Programs
- Project length: From 1 week to 12 weeks
- Arrival Airport: Entebbe (Code: EBB)
- Work Schedule: Monday to Friday 8 hours per day
- Requirements: Tourist Visa. Expect rural living conditions
- Age Limits: Minimum 17yrs or older for solo travelers.
- Minimum Age: 12 to 16 yrs if traveling with parents.
- Airlines: KLM, Delta, Emirates, British Air, Qatar and United
- Vaccinations: Yellow Fever, Malaria, Hep A, typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov
- Program starts and ends in Bulenga
- Airport meet and greet in Entebbe. Afternoon city tour and orientation
- Monday to Friday volunteering. 40 hours per week
- Weekends free to sightseeing
- Typical shift work hours are 7am - 3pm with lunch break
- Support: Local ABV Director support 24/7 during placement
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Flights to Uganda. Entry Visa. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet