This school is located in a very peaceful and typical neighborhood in Cartagena, El Campestre. It is about 30 minutes away from the old city, the main touristic area. This institution is a great support for the community. Most of the students there come from very poor families and have low opportunities for a good education.
The school has limited educational resources and some of the classrooms and other facilities are not in good conditions. Nevertheless, the students enjoy their classes a lot and their company of each other. The school has the advantage of having the sports complex of Cartagena right in front. They also have a big sports field right behind the school; the students use it for physical education classes, soccer matches and other kind of competitions. The staff (educators) are very engaged and well prepared. The school has primary and high school grades. It has two branches that are 5 minutes away by foot from each other.
There are morning and afternoon classes. A typical class has a number of about 30-35 students. The volunteer will help the teacher by being a tutoring asset to the students. Teaching tools like flash cards, classroom supplies and literature resources are welcome and needed. The main needs they have are the following: Pre-school assistant, Teacher or assistant for computers and technology class (they have a classroom with computers), physical education teacher and of course, English teachers. This program can also be combined with the Language and Cultural Immersion program (Spanish lessons).
Program Closed: June 12th - July 25th; October 30th - February 10th; Holy Week: March 29th – April 6th
Volunteer Cartagena: Teaching Education Programs
- Project length: From 2 weeks to 8 weeks
- Work schedule: Monday - Friday / 8 hours
- Arrival airport: Cartagena (CTG)
- Accommodation: local host family
- Meals: Breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Airlines: Avianca, Jet Blue, Spirit, Copa, American, United
- Vaccinations: Routine Vac, Hep-A and Typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov
- Airport meet and greet in Cartagena.
- City tour and orientation.
- Monday to Friday volunteering. 35 - 40 hours per week.
- Weekends free for sightseeing.
- Typical work schedule can be 7:00am – 2:30pm with a break for lunch.
- Local ABV coordinator support 24/7 during placement.
- ABV Staff Airport Transfer
- Flights to Colombia. Visas and/or entry-exit fees. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet.