For children in western countries it is normal to attend school every day. Unfortunately in Guatemala the reality is different. Children often don't go to school, and their rights to education is not a household priority. Spanish speaking volunteers work with a local school and help with English lessons and personal coaching with life skills to improve the children's outlook in life. Volunteer teachers and assistance needed for primary school age children. *Schools are closed in December to mid January.
A Broader View Volunteers Abroad Gap Year Projects Overseas
Activities / Requirements: You will help teach English, also teaching sports classes, creative lessons like painting, drawing, crafts and dance. Volunteers encouraged to interact with the kids with cooking lessons, singing, lessons on the environment and nature. This program can be combined with Spanish Immersion lessons.
*Volunteers need to arrive in Guatemala in the morning. Last bus to Xela departs at 3:00pm. Overnight in Guatemala city is not included in cost of program. Departure flights from Guatemala City need to be scheduled after 2:00PM.
Volunteer Opportunities English Teaching Program
- Project length: From 4 week to 12 weeks
- Project dates: Mid Jan thru November. * Choose any date to arrive.
- Arrival airport: Guatemala City (GUA)
- Requirements: Proficiency in Spanish or Spanish Immersion lessons
- Accommodation: Local host family
- Meals Meals: 3 per day M-F, 2 meals Saturday, no meals Sunday
- Airlines: American, United, Delta, Spirit, Avianca, Taca
- Vaccinations: Routine Vac, Hep-A and Typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov
- Program starts and ends in Guatemala City
- Airport meet and greet in Guatemala City. Bus tickets to Xela
- Monday to Friday volunteering. 35-40 hours per week
- Weekends free to sightseeing
- Typical shift work can be: 7:00am - 3:00pm with lunch break
- Support: Local ABV Director support 24/7 during placement
- Departure: Transfer to Guatemala City airport
- Flights to Guatemala. Visas and/or entry-exit fees. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet