In recent years, English was introduced into Rajasthan Government Primary Schools, but the teachers were not up-skilled in teaching English as a foreign language. Often their own skills in the English language are limited, so volunteers are able to expose the students to excellent English language models.
Your voluntary teaching work provides you with an opportunity to develop new skills in a very different environment. In addition, your work in the school adds to the educational experience of the children. It is a marvelous experience for them to interact with people from another culture who speak another language. They will learn the things more attentively and enthusiastically, and welcome you open-heartedly. When you leave school in the afternoon you will be content to see that your students have learnt the things taught by you and your efforts are bringing results. This, we are sure, will bring you great personal satisfaction in helping children who have not been so fortunate.
In school, our volunteer’s main responsibilities will include:
- Teaching English – the main focus is on developing Basic English conversational skills and some basic written English skills.
- The students require vocabulary development and basic grammatical structures for spoken and written English.
- Teaching Maths – this is a secondary focus area, as the students take maths with their class teacher during their Hindi classes. However, volunteers can work to further develop English language skills through maths teaching.
- Creating a fun and playful environment with games
- Creating low cost teaching materials and aids
- Monitoring students’ attendance
- Monitoring students’ health and hygiene – e.g. encouraging hand washing in order to protect from spread of germs and maintaining good personal hygiene.
Program Closed/Holidays: 15th May until 30th June approx (Vacation)
Nov 6th to Nov 15th (Diwali Festival)
Dec 25 to Jan 1st (Xmas and New Year)
You can be placed in the Childcare program in the holidays
Volunteer Opportunities: Education programs
- Project length: From 2 week to 8 weeks
- Arrival Airport: Maharana Pratap (Code: UDR), going through New Delhi
- Work Schedule: Monday to Friday 4 to 6 hours per day
- Requirements: Police Check/Clearance report
- Age Limits: Minimum 17yrs or older for solo travelers.
- Minimum Age: 12 to 16 yrs if traveling with parents.
- Airlines: Jet Airways, Indian Airlines, Spice Airlines
- Vaccinations: Hep A, typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov
- Accommodation: Share Volunteer House
- Meals: Breakfast, lunch box and dinner daily
- Arrival: Airport meet and greet by ABV Staff
- Orientation: Project Overview and Orientation
- Support: Pre-trip written guide, In-country ABV staff available 24/7
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Hindi Lessons: 5 Days included
- Optional: Indian Cuisine, Yoga, Henna and Dance lessons (not included)
- Flights. Entry Visa. Departure taxes. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet