Volunteer at a local village school outside of Arusha. Volunteers support local teachers that provide free education to orphans and vulnerable children in the community. Volunteers needed to teach English and mathematics.
We do recommend you learn a few words and phrases of Swahili, which will be very helpful and appreciated by the children. Bringing teaching aids (flash cards, picture books, alphabet and number games, maps) with you is highly recommended, and needed.
Schools in Tanzania are closed for 2 weeks in late April, during August and December to January. Prior experience is not required, guidance will be provided as to what subjects to cover, but volunteer teachers will be expected to come with ideas to create and prepare lessons.
*Volunteers need a Tourist Visa to enter Tanzania (US$100) as of 2016 you can get it at the Tanzania airport. *Once in the country all volunteers must apply for a “Volunteer Permit” is US$250. All participants in the Tanzania program must secure a permit to volunteer.
Volunteer Opportunities Tanzania Education English Missions
- Project length: From 2 weeks to 8 weeks
- Arrival Airport: Kilimanjaro (Code: JRO)
- Work Schedule: Monday to Friday 8 hours per day
- Requirements: Tourist Visa and Volunteer Permit
- Age Limits: Minimum 17yrs or older for solo travelers.
- Minimum Age: 12 to 16 yrs if traveling with parents.
- Airlines: KLM, Delta, Emirates, Ethiopian and Qatar
- Vaccinations: Yellow Fever, Malaria, Hep A, typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov
- Program starts and ends in Arusha (JRO airport)
- Airport meet and greet. Afternoon city tour and orientation
- Monday to Friday volunteering. 40 hours per week
- Weekends free to sightseeing
- Typical shift work hours are 8am-12pm and 2pm-6pm
- Support: Local ABV Director support 24/7 during placement
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Accommodation: Volunteer House
Meals: Breakfast and dinner daily
- Flights to Tanzania. Entry Visa. Departure taxes. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet
A Broader View Volunteer (ABV) allows every traveler to choose their own program start date. This means you can arrive on any flight, any day of the week. Since ABV program fees are 100% tax deductible* we encourage you to fund raise. ABV offers advice and assistance with flight planning, affordable travel insurance, as well as procuring a visa, if necessary. Our ABV staff is available to any your questions. Contact us by email, through the on-line chat feature on our website or call us toll free at 866-423-3258.
WHAT DO MY FEES PAY FOR?
Volunteer Registration Fee – ongoing support from ABV staff, program marketing costs, information pack, administration costs, ABV donation Fund, travel costs to inspect programs and communication costs with volunteers.
Volunteer Program Fee – ABV donation fund, airport pick-up, orientation, program supervision, accommodation and meals during volunteer program period, in-country 24/7 volunteer support and in-country administration costs. As a US Non-Profit Charity Organization all your fees are tax deductible and you can fundraise from our website to pay for the fees.