Volunteer in Tanzania are needed and welcome to work in early childhood education projects throughout Arusha. Projects are available in kindergarten and primary schools where the focus on teaching English, math, music, arts are welcome.
Local children are passionate about learning, and attending school gives them the chance to break out of the poverty cycle. Moreover, both the children and teachers are grateful with support of the extracurricular activities and sports games after school.
It is advisable that you learn a few words and phrases in Swahili. Volunteers should bring teaching aids (flash cards, picture books, alphabet and number games, maps) to use with the kids and to donate to the school.
Schools in Tanzania are closed for 2 weeks in late April, during the month of August and December to January. Prior experience is not required, guidance will be provided as to what subjects to cover, but volunteer teachers will be expected to come up with ideas to create and prepare lessons.
Visa/Permit Notes: “Volunteer Visa” is required for all program participants. The cost is US$250. Tanzania embassy information.
- Project length: From 1 week to 2 weeks
- Project start date: Projects begin every Tuesday. Arrival Sunday or Monday
- Airport Arrival: Kilimanjaro (Code: JRO)
- Work Schedule: Monday to Friday 6-8 hours per day
- Requirements: Tourist Visa and Volunteer Permit
- Age Limits: Minimum 18 years or older for solo travelers
- Minimum Age: 12 to 16 yrs if traveling with parents.
- Airlines: KLM, Delta, Emirates, Ethiopian and Qatar
- Vaccinations: Yellow Fever, Malaria (Malarone pills recommended), Hep A, typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov
- Program starts and ends in Arusha (JRO airport)
- Airport meet and greet. Afternoon city tour and orientation
- Monday to Friday volunteering. 30-40 hours per week
- Weekends free to sightseeing
- Typical shift work hours are 8am-12pm and 2pm-6pm
- Support: Local ABV Director support 24/7 during placement
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Accommodation: Volunteer House
- Meals: Breakfast and dinner daily
Flights to Tanzania. Entry Visa. Departure taxes. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet. Sightseeing.