Volunteer Review Doris Sweet in Colombia Cartagena Woman Support Program
Volunteer in Colombia
1. What was your favorite memory of this trip?
Getting lost and being rescued by a neighbor on his motorcycle and aided by others when my Spanish is limited.
2. What was the most difficult thing you experienced?
Lifting toddlers out of high chairs and getting up from the floor after nap time. The caregiver of the older babies graciously assisted in getting me to my feet.
3. What was the one thing you wished you were better prepared for?
That I had reviewed previous Spanish notes.
4. Any tips for future volunteers… (Clothing, travel, personal items, donations, sightseeing etc).
Travel light: Do not bring too much stuff. Provide to the host family a gift particular to your area.
5. How would you describe/rate your experience working with the ABV staff in the USA?
Very responsive arranging the trip on short notice.
6. How was the local ABV Director and the support provided in-country?
Coordinator successfully provided: airport pick-up, transportation, introduction of host family, initial site visit and introduction to the program, transportation options, checking continuing welfare, cultural visit planned on Saturday and airport return on Sunday.
7. Personal Paragraph (ABV Program Testimonial):
As a result of this experience, my sister and I may attend an ABV project in Cuzco in the fall.
8. Are you willing to speak to other potential ABV volunteers?
I always share my volunteer experiences.