The Elderly Care Center is a non-profit organization created for the care and attention of low-income older people living in La Serena. Most of the residents have no other living options. Some have been abandoned by their own family. The home provides place to live, meals, clothing, medical treatment and therapy needs.
Volunteers will help with recreational and cultural activities, help to prepare food, and feed some of the ladies, some -ladies/gentleman- simply need people to talk to them, or read to them for a few hours or play cards or walk in the park. And we also need health care providers to help with the care of the people.
A Broader View Volunteers Abroad Gap Year Projects Overseas
*This program can be combined with the medical projects, as volunteers are needed to provide health checks like checking blood pressures, sugar levels, administering medication and physical therapy needs.
This is a great opportunity to improve your skills, knowledge, resume, language, learn about medicine in a developing country.
Volunteer Opportunities: Social Welfare Programs
- Project length: From 1 week to 8 weeks
- Arrival Airport: La Serena (LSC)
- Work Schedule: Monday to Friday 7-8 hours per day
- Requirements: intermediate/basic Spanish or Spanish Immersion Lessons while in country and Police Check/Clearance report
- Age Limits: Minimum 17yrs or older for solo travelers.
- Minimum Age: 12 to 16 yrs if traveling with parents.
- Airlines: Lan Chile, American, United, Delta, Iberia, Avianca
- Vaccinations: Routine Vac, Hep-A and Typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov
- Accommodation: Host Family
- Meals: Breakfast, lunch and dinner daily
- Arrival: Airport meet and greet by ABV Staff
- Orientation: Project Overview On-Site
- Support: Pre-trip written guide, In-country ABV staff available 24/7
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Flights to Chile. Visas and/or entry-exit fees. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet