In recent years, Honduras has experienced a rapid increase in HIV infections, accounting for nearly 60 percent of all cases reported in Central America. Roughly 80 percent of all reported cases are attributable to heterosexual transmission, and studies indicate that between 1 and 4 percent of pregnant women have been infected with the virus. Volunteers in this project will be involved in various care and support activities. Undergraduate students (Pre-Med/Pre-Nursing, Public Health) are welcome to join this health related.
Volunteer activities will include counseling, including prevention counseling and the design and use of complementary IEC (information, education, and communication) materials; working in diagnosis and treatment of minor opportunistic infections and palliative care; and working in IEC activities to reduce the stigma of being HIV-positive and combat discrimination. Fluency in Spanish is required for this placement.
Volunteer Programs: HIV Awareness PreMed
- Project length: From 1 week to 12 weeks
- Arrival Airport: La Ceiba (LCE)
- Work Schedule: Monday to Friday 8 hours per day
- Accommodation: Host Families
- Requirements: Fluency in Spanish, health background
- Age Limits: Minimum 18yrs or older for solo travelers.
- Airlines: Taca, Air Viva, Cayman Air
- Vaccinations: Routine Vac, Hep-A and Typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov
- Program starts and ends in La Ceiba
- Airport meet and greet in La Ceiba. Afternoon city tour and orientation
- Monday to Friday volunteering. 40 hours per week
- Weekends free to sightseeing
- Typical shift work hours are 8am-12pm and 2pm-6pm
- Support: Local ABV Director support 24/7 during placement
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Flights to La Ceiba. Entry Visa. Departure taxes. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet