Volunteer Honduras Many people throughout Central America, including Honduras do not receive regular dental care. By partnering with the regional hospital’s dental department, A Broader View Volunteers provide necessary support to people who would otherwise not receive any dental attention
Although your trip may only last a week or two, your service will have an ongoing effect on the community. Through education and example, people’s overall quality of life can be changed with knowledge shared by volunteers. Basic knowledge of oral hygiene can prevent future diseases and significantly reduce a person's pain and suffering.
Volunteer’s level of experience, as well as their Spanish knowledge will determine the type of work you will be involved in, and the level of independence you would have during procedures. Dental professionals (dentist, dental assistance, pre-dental college students and dental students) are welcome and needed in this program. All procedures will be overseen by a local, licensed Honduran dentist. Volunteers tasks may include:
- Set up of the examination area. Separating instruments and materials according to need.
- Assisting with prophylaxis and fluoride treatments
- Preventive dentistry advocacy: teaching & educating patients on proper cleaning and flossing
- Pain management procedures, oral cancer screenings, fillings, sealants and extractions are performed by the local licensed dentists in charge of the clinic. During these procedures volunteers will receive a one on one learning experience where the dentist will discuss the procedure and answer questions as they go
Non-Spanish speaking volunteers: Language immersion is recommended. This is a combination of morning dental rotation and afternoon of Spanish lessons, 5 days a week. Optional translators are available for hire ($15 per day, paid locally). Volunteers must supply their own scrubs, gloves, basic hand tools/ instruments.
- Project length: From 1 week to 12 weeks
- Arrival Airport: La Ceiba (LCE)
- Work Schedule: Monday to Friday 8 hours per day
- Accommodation: Host Families
- Requirements: From Basic Spanish, US$100 donation a month
- Age Limits: Minimum 18yrs or older for solo travelers.
- Airlines: Taca, Air Viva, Cayman Air
- Vaccinations: Routine Vac, Hep-A and Typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov
- Program starts and ends in La Ceiba
- Airport meet and greet in La Ceiba. Afternoon city tour and orientation
- Monday to Friday volunteering. 40 hours per week
- Weekends free to sightseeing
- Typical shift work hours are 8am-12pm and 2pm-6pm
- Support: Local ABV Director support 24/7 during placement
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Flights to La Ceiba. Entry Visa. Departure taxes. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet