There are thousands of adults and child around the world who lack proper oral healthcare. Volunteers are welcome in the dental department of a large public run hospital in La Ceiba, Honduras. Work along side the skilled staff in the dentist clinic and have the opportunity to observe a variety of dental procedures.
- Undergraduate students will observe local dentists and provide hands-on assistance with cleanings, checkups, extractions and restorative care. Hygienists will be able to offer oral hygiene education and first time cleaning for children. Pre-dental students are welcome. You will shadow the local dentist and help manage the lines of patients, assist in record keeping, help with instruments and charting. This is a great chance to gain some hands on experience & knowledge of oral care in a developing country. You can enhance your Spanish skills, build up your resume and help at this understaffed department in a large busy hospital.
- For those less than proficient (able to understand and speak Spanish at a conversational level) we recommend our Language Immersion option. This will combine half day in the dental clinic and half day of Spanish lessons, 5 days a week. However, translator are available to hire ($15 per day, paid locally) to help you get acclimated into the project. All volunteers need to bring their own supplies such as scrubs, gloves, basic hand instruments.
- Project length: From 1 week to 12 weeks
- Arrival Airport: La Ceiba (LCE)
- Work Schedule: Monday to Friday 8 hours per day
- Accommodation: Host Families
- Requirements: From Basic Spanish, US$100 donation a month
- Age Limits: Minimum 18yrs or older for solo travelers.
- Airlines: Taca, Air Viva, Cayman Air
- Vaccinations: Routine Vac, Hep-A and Typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov
- Program starts and ends in La Ceiba
- Airport meet and greet in La Ceiba. Afternoon city tour and orientation
- Monday to Friday volunteering. 40 hours per week
- Weekends free to sightseeing
- Typical shift work hours are 8am-12pm and 2pm-6pm
- Support: Local ABV Director support 24/7 during placement
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Flights to La Ceiba. Entry Visa. Departure taxes. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet
A Broader View Volunteer (ABV) allows every traveler to choose their own program start date. This means you can arrive on any flight, any day of the week. Since ABV program fees are 100% tax deductible* we encourage you to fund raise. ABV offers advice and assistance with flight planning, affordable travel insurance, as well as procuring a visa, if necessary. Our ABV staff is available to any your questions. Contact us by email, through the on-line chat feature on our website or call us toll free at 866-423-3258.
WHAT DO MY FEES PAY FOR?
Volunteer Registration Fee – ongoing support from ABV staff, program marketing costs, information pack, administration costs, ABV donation Fund, travel costs to inspect programs and communication costs with volunteers.
Volunteer Program Fee – ABV donation fund, airport pick-up, orientation, program supervision, accommodation and meals during volunteer program period, in-country 24/7 volunteer support and in-country administration costs. As a US Non-Profit Charity Organization all your fees are tax deductible and you can fundraise from our website to pay for the fees.