There are thousands of adults and child around the world who lack proper oral healthcare. Volunteers are welcome in the dental department of a large public run hospital in La Ceiba, Honduras. Work along side the skilled staff in the dentist clinic and have the opportunity to observe a variety of dental procedures.
- Undergraduate students will observe local dentists and provide hands-on assistance with cleanings, checkups, extractions and restorative care. Hygienists will be able to offer oral hygiene education and first time cleaning for children. Pre-dental students are welcome. You will shadow the local dentist and help manage the lines of patients, assist in record keeping, help with instruments and charting. This is a great chance to gain some hands on experience & knowledge of oral care in a developing country. You can enhance your Spanish skills, build up your resume and help at this understaffed department in a large busy hospital.
- For those less than proficient (able to understand and speak Spanish at a conversational level) we recommend our Language Immersion option. This will combine half day in the dental clinic and half day of Spanish lessons, 5 days a week. However, translator are available to hire ($15 per day, paid locally) to help you get acclimated into the project. All volunteers need to bring their own supplies such as scrubs, gloves, basic hand instruments.
- Project length: From 1 week to 12 weeks
- Arrival Airport: La Ceiba (LCE)
- Work Schedule: Monday to Friday 8 hours per day
- Accommodation: Host Families
- Requirements: From Basic Spanish, US$100 donation a month
- Age Limits: Minimum 18yrs or older for solo travelers.
- Airlines: Taca, Air Viva, Cayman Air
- Vaccinations: Routine Vac, Hep-A and Typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov
- Program starts and ends in La Ceiba
- Airport meet and greet in La Ceiba. Afternoon city tour and orientation
- Monday to Friday volunteering. 40 hours per week
- Weekends free to sightseeing
- Typical shift work hours are 8am-12pm and 2pm-6pm
- Support: Local ABV Director support 24/7 during placement
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Flights to La Ceiba. Entry Visa. Departure taxes. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet