Unfortunately, the public health care system in Honduras is one of the worst in Latin America. Fortunately in La Ceiba the recently opened Public Hospital is trying to serve the most impoverished people in the community. Since there are very few affordable hospitals even most middle class families use the Public hospitals. However, medically trained healthcare professionals and students are needed since the hospital is still poorly-equipped and under staffed.
Medical and Nursing students, professionals will EMT licensing, shadow and support the local doctors and nurses with their daily routines. Tasks vary depending on your current skills, experience and Spanish proficiency.
- Volunteers can rotate between departments, help in the pharmacy, laboratory and checkups, maternity, clean wounds, give sutures, and participate on daily rounds with the medical staff. Volunteer for one week can only do observation and help with basics, over one week volunteering will have more hands on with patients.
This is a great chance to improve your skills, build your resume by learn about medicine in a developing nation and improve your Spanish. We recommend our language immersion option for those less than proficient in Spanish (be able to talk 8 hours a day in Spanish with the local staff). However,translator are available (extra $15 per day/4 hours) to help you get acclimated into the project. All volunteers need to bring their own supplies such as scrubs, gloves, mask, stethoscope.
Urgent donations: New or used sphygmomanometer, stethoscope, oximeter, gloves, masks head covering, pain killer and eye drops, gauze, ointments, tape, a pair of scissors, 5-6 pair of scrubs. And a small budget to buy locally any items you may need for the clinic/hospital.
- Project length: From 1 week to 12 weeks
- Arrival Airport: La Ceiba (LCE)
- Work Schedule: Monday to Friday 8 hours per day
- Accommodation: Host Families
- Requirements: From Basic Spanish, US$100 donation a month
- Age Limits: Minimum 18yrs or older for solo travelers.
- Airlines: Taca, Air Viva, Cayman Air
- Vaccinations: Routine Vac, Hep-A and Typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov
- Program starts and ends in La Ceiba
- Airport meet and greet in La Ceiba. Afternoon city tour and orientation
- Monday to Friday volunteering. 40 hours per week
- Weekends free to sightseeing
- Typical shift work hours are 8am-12pm and 2pm-6pm
- Support: Local ABV Director support 24/7 during placement
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Flights to La Ceiba. Entry Visa. Departure taxes. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet
|Central America / US$|
|Honduras - Spanish Immersion||995||1290||1530||1790|
Any extra week of “accommodation and meals” will be US$150/week after week 4 until week 12, more Spanish lessons can be paid locally to the coordinator.
|Central America / US$|
The volunteer prices and the immersion prices are not combined, you choose from one or the other price.
A Broader View Volunteer (ABV) allows every traveler to choose their own program start date. This means you can arrive on any flight, any day of the week. Since ABV program fees are 100% tax deductible* we encourage you to fund raise. ABV offers advice and assistance with flight planning, affordable travel insurance, as well as procuring a visa, if necessary. Our ABV staff is available to any your questions. Contact us by email, through the on-line chat feature on our website or call us toll free at 866-423-3258.
WHAT DO MY FEES PAY FOR?
Volunteer Registration Fee – ongoing support from ABV staff, program marketing costs, information pack, administration costs, ABV donation Fund, travel costs to inspect programs and communication costs with volunteers.
Volunteer Program Fee – ABV donation fund, airport pick-up, orientation, program supervision, accommodation and meals during volunteer program period, in-country 24/7 volunteer support and in-country administration costs. As a US Non-Profit Charity Organization all your fees are tax deductible and you can fundraise from our website to pay for the fees.