Global Health Volunteer Program: La Ceiba Honduras
Honduras is high poverty developing country in Central America where more than 65% of the population live in poverty. Our A Broader View programs are based in the coastal city of La Ceiba. ABV partners with the regional hospital in La Ceiba, with the local Bomberos ambulance service and with several small clinics in around the city.
Most of the local clinics, and even the newer, larger regional hospital in La Ceiba is critically understaffed & ill-equipped. As in many developing countries most patients have illnesses preventable by basic hygiene and healthy living practices. International medical volunteers fill a necessary life line in many cases. Over the last 10 years ABV has built a strong partnership and have sent thousands of volunteers to Honduras. ABV provides financial contributions to buy medical and ambulance equipment and asks volunteers to come with medical donations to support the program.
Clinical Activities/Health Education/Special Initiatives in La Ceiba, Honduras:
- Rounds with hospital staff
- Observing minor surgeries
- Assisting in the ER and triage areas
- Maternity, labor and delivery unit in the hospital
- Health and dental brigades on community outreach days
- Pharmacy and laboratory placements are available
To maximize your contribution, ABV will tailor your experience based on current needs, your interests, Spanish levels, training, and amount of time that you spend with us on-site in La Ceiba Honduras.
We accept volunteers traveling individually as well as groups of various sizes. Spanish proficiency is recommended, but not required by ABV Volunteers. However, volunteers may find that any level of Spanish comprehension will enhance interactions with medical staff, patients, and community members. This program is suitable for physicians, physician assistants, licensed nurses, EMT trained volunteers.
* Uniform: 4 to 6 scrubs, comfortable shoes or sneakers and bring basic tools as: oximeter, stethoscope, strip thermometer, blood pressure cuff, gloves, mask, cleaning wipes, blue & red pens (to use and donate).
- Project length: From 1 week to 12 weeks
- Arrival Airport: La Ceiba (LCE)
- Work Schedule: Monday to Friday 8 hours per day
- Accommodation: Host Families
- Requirements: From Basic Spanish, US$100 donation a month
- Age Limits: Minimum 18yrs or older for solo travelers.
- Airlines: Taca, Air Viva, Cayman Air
- Vaccinations: Routine Vac, Hep-A and Typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov
- Program starts and ends in La Ceiba
- Airport meet and greet in La Ceiba. Afternoon city tour and orientation
- Monday to Friday volunteering. 40 hours per week
- Weekends free to sightseeing
- Typical shift work hours are 8am-12pm and 2pm-6pm
- Support: Local ABV Director support 24/7 during placement
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Flights to La Ceiba. Entry Visa. Departure taxes. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet