There are currently 44 children residing at the orphanage. The children range in age between 4 years and 17 years old. Our volunteers support the staff in terms of their daily routines, and also offer outside input for activities and recreational ideas. During the school term volunteer will help with the children’s breakfast, and escorting them to school. A Daycare/Headstart project is open in the orphanages pre-school.Volunteers can help with assisting with baby/toddler care and pre-school activities with the little ones. Work tasks at this center include: farming, gardening, animal care, cooking, laundry, cleaning. After school activities with the children including reading, helping with homework, arts and crafts, playing in the ball fields, and being present and available to the children.
A Broader View Volunteers Abroad Gap Year Projects Overseas
This is a lively facility and our volunteers must be an upbeat, happy individual in order to thrive! Expect to be hot, working outside, playing with the kids, enjoying the humidity and making a difference.
The role of an ABV volunteer at a children’s home should be a mentor, friend, gardener, farmer, camp counselor and advocate all rolled into one.
Note: Arrivals only during the week, avoid weekends.
Volunteer Opportunities Orphanage Center:
- Project length: From 1 week to 8 weeks
- Arrival airport: Belize City (BZE)
- Work schedule: 5 days a week, 6-7 hours per day
- Requirements: Police Check/Clearance report
- Age limits: Minimum 17yrs or older for solo travelers.
- Minimum Age: 12 to 16 yrs if traveling with parents.
- Airlines: American, United, Delta, US Airways
- Vaccinations: Routine Vac, Hep-A and Typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov/
- Airport meet and greet in BZE (Belize City). Orientation with ABV Staff
- Monday to Friday volunteering, occasion weekend as needed
- Two free days a week for sightseeing
- Typical shift work hours are 7am-11am and 2-6pm as needed
- Support: Local ABV Director support 24/7 during placement
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Flights to Belize. Visas and/or entry-exit fees. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet