There are two public hospitals in La Ceiba which serve the most impoverished people in the community. For undergraduates on a healthcare career path this project will have you shadowing local doctors and nurses in their daily routines. Your tasks will vary depending on your current skills, experience and Spanish language proficiency.
Assigned placements include but not limited to:
- Assisting with non-evasive procedures like taking vital signs, taking blood pressure, weight and height of patients
- Observation of cleaning wounds, removing sutures, draining abscesses
- Accompanying doctors on rounds and during consultations
This is a great chance to improve your skills, build your resume by learn about medicine in a developing nation and improve your Spanish. We recommend our language immersion option for those less than proficient in Spanish (be able to talk 8 hours a day in Spanish with the local staff). However, translator are available (extra $15 per day) to help you get acclimated into the project. All volunteers need to bring their own supplies such as scrubs, gloves, mask, stethoscope.
Urgent donations: New or used sphygmomanometer, stethoscope, oximeter, gloves, masks head covering, pain killer and eye drops, gauze, ointments, tape, a pair of scissors, 5-6 pair of scrubs. And a small budget to buy locally any items you may need for the clinic/hospital.
Volunteer Opportunities Honduras: Health Care program
- Project length: From 1 week to 12 weeks
- Project dates: Year Round. Choose any date to arrive
- Arrival Airport: La Ceiba (LCE)
- Work Schedule: Monday to Friday. 4 or 8 hours per day
- Requirements: From Basic Spanish, US$100 donation a month
- Accommodation: Local Host Family.
- Meals: 3 per day 7 days a week
- Age Limits: Minimum 18yrs or older
- Diploma of Participation issued by the Hospital. (Signed by the director of Hospital) Ministry of Health of Honduras
- Airlines: Taca, Air Viva, Cayman Air
- Vaccinations: Routine Vac, Hep-A and Typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov
- Program starts and ends in La Ceiba
- Airport or bus station meet in La Ceiba. Afternoon city tour and orientation
- Monday to Friday volunteering. 20/ 40 hours per week
- Weekends free to sightseeing
- Typical shift work hours are 8am-12pm and 2pm-6pm
- Support: Local ABV Director support 24/7 during placement
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport or bus station Transfer
- Flights to La Ceiba. Entry Visa. Departure taxes. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet