Volunteer Honduras: Undergraduate students (medical, global health, nursing) are welcome to join our health-related projects in La Ceiba, Honduras. These projects not only provide a hands-on learning opportunity in universal health care practices, you will also make a lasting impact on this Honduran community.
Pre-medical and Student nurses work side by side the local doctors and nurses at a very busy public, regional hospital in La Ceiba Honduras. This is the main medical source for thousands of people in the Atlantida region of Honduras. The hospital has both outpatient and inpatient services, including emergency care, mainly for low-income families. Some of the daily volunteer task may include
- Assisting in the maternity ward
- Charting patients, taking vitals, assisting with consultations
- Assisting with: cleaning wounds, changing bandages, sutures
- Outreach campaigns: preparing materials/and set up
Our program is open to volunteers of all educational or professional backgrounds. As our sites are open year-round, volunteers are welcome to travel at any time and for any length of time. Whether you're learning about tropical medicine in the local hospital, giving dental health education classes, working on the ambulance or observing surgery, your experience allows you to better understand the Honduran healthcare system as well as contribute to the improvement of health in La Ceiba and the surrounding Atlantida community.
* Uniform: 4 to 6 scrubs, comfortable shoes or sneakers and bring basic tools as: oximeter, stethoscope, strip thermometer, blood pressure cuff, gloves, mask, cleaning wipes, blue & red pens (to use and donate).
- Project length: From 1 week to 12 weeks
- Project dates: Year Round. Choose any date to arrive
- Arrival Airport: La Ceiba (LCE)
- Work Schedule: Monday to Friday. 4 or 8 hours per day
- Requirements: From Basic Spanish, US$100 donation a month
- Accommodation: Local Host Family.
- Meals: 3 per day 7 days a week
- Age Limits: Minimum 18yrs or older
- Diploma of Participation issued by the Hospital. (Signed by the director of Hospital) Ministry of Health of Honduras
- Airlines: Taca, Air Viva, Cayman Air
- Vaccinations: Routine Vac, Hep-A and Typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov
- Program starts and ends in La Ceiba
- Airport or bus station meet in La Ceiba. Afternoon city tour and orientation
- Monday to Friday volunteering. 20/ 40 hours per week
- Weekends free to sightseeing
- Typical shift work hours are 8am-12pm and 2pm-6pm
- Support: Local ABV Director support 24/7 during placement
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport or bus station Transfer
- Flights to La Ceiba. Entry Visa. Departure taxes. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet