Volunteer with this program to help improve the lives of Costa Rican women. Over the years many advances have been made in Costa Rica, but many women still suffer from lack of education, discrimination and even subservience. Our volunteers are focused in project mainly in the Central Valley near San Jose. Volunteers will work side by side the local staff to offer training, support and advice to local women.
The day to day activities of a volunteer will vary depending on the needs of the organization as well as the specific interests and skills of the volunteer. The volunteer work will focus on education, self-esteem building, and vocational training tools to improve themselves and their family's economic and social conditions. The main goal is leading these women out of poverty.
- Volunteers with experience are welcome to teach:
- Math, bookkeeping and accounting
- Social media and basic computers lessons
- Writing a resume
- Vocational training with weaving, embroidery, hand crafts, baking
- Health, hygiene and family health issues
This is a great program for public administrators, social works, business or those focused on woman’s rights. This is an opportunity to give back to the community but supporting the woman’s programs in Costa Rica.
ONLY Friday, Saturday or Sunday arrival: flight must arrive before 8pm (no exceptions) to San Jose. The orientation is same or next day.
Volunteer Opportunities: Women´s Empowerment
- Project length: From 1 weeks to 6 weeks.
- Arrival Airport: San Jose (SJO) Juan Santamaría International Airport.
- Work Schedule: Monday to Fridays. Minimum 5 hours per day.
- Requirements: Basic/Intermediate Spanish, Spanish lessons available, independent bus ride to/from project site.
- Age Limits: Minimum 18 years or older for solo travelers
- Minimum Age: 12 to 17 years if traveling with parents.
- Airlines: American, United, Delta, US Airways, Copa, Taca, Avianca, Spirit Airways.
- Vaccinations: Routine Vac, Hep-A and Typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov/
- Accommodation: Host Families.
- Meals: Breakfast, lunch and dinner are included.
- Laundry: Once a week.
- Internet: available in some host families and projects
- Arrival: Airport (SJO) meet and greet by ABV Staff and Airport transfer on arrival to San Jose
- Orientation: Orientation upon arrival.
- Support: Full time in-country ABV Coordinator. 24/7 emergency contact number.
- Departure: Transfer back to the airport at the end of the program.
- Flights. Entry Visa. Departure taxes. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Internet (Only available in some host families and projects). Any extra activities and excursions or tours not described on the planned itinerary.
|Central America / US$|
The volunteer prices and the immersion prices are not combined, you choose from one or the other price.
|Central America / US$|
|Costa Rica - Spanish Immersion||1070||1375||1685||1995|
Any extra week of “accommodation and meals” will be US$150/week after week 4 until week 6, more Spanish lessons can be paid locally to the coordinator.
A Broader View Volunteer (ABV) allows every traveler to choose their own program start date. This means you can arrive on any flight, any day of the week. Since ABV program fees are 100% tax deductible* we encourage you to fund raise. ABV offers advice and assistance with flight planning, affordable travel insurance, as well as procuring a visa, if necessary. Our ABV staff is available to any your questions. Contact us by email, through the on-line chat feature on our website or call us toll free at 866-423-3258.
WHAT DO MY FEES PAY FOR?
Volunteer Registration Fee – ongoing support from ABV staff, program marketing costs, information pack, administration costs, ABV donation Fund, travel costs to inspect programs and communication costs with volunteers.
Volunteer Program Fee – ABV donation fund, airport pick-up, orientation, program supervision, accommodation and meals during volunteer program period, in-country 24/7 volunteer support and in-country administration costs. As a US Non-Profit Charity Organization all your fees are tax deductible and you can fundraise from our website to pay for the fees.