Volunteer with this program to help improve the lives of Costa Rican women. Over the years many advances have been made in Costa Rica, but many women still suffer from lack of education, discrimination and even subservience. Our volunteers are focused in project mainly in the Central Valley near San Jose. Volunteers will work side by side the local staff to offer training, support and advice to local women.
The day to day activities of a volunteer will vary depending on the needs of the organization as well as the specific interests and skills of the volunteer. The volunteer work will focus on education, self-esteem building, and vocational training tools to improve themselves and their family's economic and social conditions. The main goal is leading these women out of poverty.
- Volunteers with experience are welcome to teach:
- Math, bookkeeping and accounting
- Social media and basic computers lessons
- Writing a resume
- Vocational training with weaving, embroidery, hand crafts, baking
- Health, hygiene and family health issues
This is a great program for public administrators, social works, business or those focused on woman’s rights. This is an opportunity to give back to the community but supporting the woman’s programs in Costa Rica.
ONLY Friday, Saturday or Sunday arrival: flight must arrive before 8pm (no exceptions) to San Jose. The orientation is same or next day.
Volunteer Opportunities: Women´s Empowerment
- Project length: From 1 weeks to 6 weeks.
- Arrival Airport: San Jose (SJO) Juan Santamaría International Airport.
- Work Schedule: Monday to Fridays. Minimum 5 hours per day.
- Requirements: Basic/Intermediate Spanish, Spanish lessons available, independent bus ride to/from project site.
- Age Limits: Minimum 18 years or older for solo travelers
- Minimum Age: 12 to 17 years if traveling with parents.
- Airlines: American, United, Delta, US Airways, Copa, Taca, Avianca, Spirit Airways.
- Vaccinations: Routine Vac, Hep-A and Typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov/
- Accommodation: Host Families.
- Meals: Breakfast, lunch and dinner are included.
- Laundry: Once a week.
- Internet: available in some host families and projects
- Arrival: Airport (SJO) meet and greet by ABV Staff and Airport transfer on arrival to San Jose
- Orientation: Orientation upon arrival.
- Support: Full time in-country ABV Coordinator. 24/7 emergency contact number.
- Departure: Transfer back to the airport at the end of the program.
- Flights. Entry Visa. Departure taxes. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Internet (Only available in some host families and projects). Any extra activities and excursions or tours not described on the planned itinerary.