NEPAL is a Patriarchal society where men go to work and women stay at home tending the home and children. Slight trend changes are happening in parts of Kathmandu, however it still remains the same in the villages. As few Nepali women enter skilled work and leadership in the private and public sectors, it remains difficult for women to find opportunities. Domestic abuse in Nepal is rampant. The leading cause of death among women of childbearing age is suicide. Widows are tossed out and branded as witches. Victims of the sex trade are shunned by families. There are many issues that Nepalese women face due to illiteracy and dependency into their husband income for even small things.
This program helps to empowerment women in terms of education and get involved in learning income generating activities.
This program focuses on education of woman, both young and old. Help within the community to teach and promote women’s rights, initiate discussions on health issues, lead activities promoting life skills such as tailoring, food cart/tourism work/handicrafts and sustainable farming techniques. Nearly all Nepali women have a great skill-set as farmers. You will be helping these women to provide a sustainable future for themselves and their children. The program is designed to promote the importance of education, and provide training which can be turned into income generating life skills. Teach a English lesson, help on the farming days, teach a woman about money management, participate in health talks etc.
This program can be combined with the Nepali Language Immersion program, or the orphanage support project - all located within Kathmandu.
Program Donation: USD $100 to be included in the program fee.
Volunteer Opportunities: Women Empowerment/ Agriculture programs
- Project Length: From 1 week to 12 weeks
- Project dates: Year round. Choose any date to arrive.
- Arrival airport: Kathmandu (KTM)
- Accommodation: Local host family
- Meals: Breakfast and dinner daily
- Airlines: Turkish Air, Qatar Air, Malaysian Airways, Air India, Jet Airways, Thai Air, Ethiad
- Vaccinations: Typhoid and Hep A wwwnc.cdc.gov
- Program starts and ends in Kathmandu
- Airport meets and greet in Kathmandu. Next day orientation and city tour
- Monday to Friday volunteering. 20-40 hours per week
- Weekends free to sightseeing
- Typical shift work hours are 8am-12pm and 2pm-6pm
- Support: Local ABV Director support 24/7 during placement
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Flights to Nepal. Entry Visa. Departure taxes. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet
Extra- Not Included activities:
- UNESCO Heritage car/ bike tour full day/half day
- Hiking guide hire Horse riding
- Nepali Dance Class Nepali language learning (basic/intermediate/advance level)
- Trekking around the Himalayas.