The women development center offers temporary residence, education and vocational training to young teenage mothers and their children. Most of these girls have suffered from forced child marriage, human trafficking, poverty, abuse, and a lack of education. The center works to provide support and training, including vocational skills, empowerment education and woman health talks. There is a nursery and primary school for the children living at this center.
Volunteer support is very important and the center relies heavily on international hands on help and donations. As a volunteer, you will may be asked to work in the following areas:
- Support with incoming generating/ marketing and fundraising ideas for the center
- Psychological support to women (social workers)
- Teaching English and basic computers.
- Teaching basic cooking and tailoring
- Help with child care and education of the kids.
We recommend volunteers to learn a few words and phrases of Swahili, which will be very helpful with the locals. Travel from the volunteer accommodations to the center is about 15/20 minutes bus ride each direction.
*Volunteers need a Tourist Visa to enter Tanzania (US$100) as of 2016 available for purchase in the airport. *Once in the country volunteers must apply for a “Volunteer Permit” is US$250. All participants in the Tanzania program must secure a permit to volunteer.
- Project length: From 2 weeks to 8 weeks
- Project start date: Projects begin every Tuesday. Arrival Sunday or Monday
- Airport Arrival: Kilimanjaro (Code: JRO)
- Work Schedule: Monday to Friday 6-8 hours per day
- Requirements: Tourist Visa and Volunteer Permit
- Age Limits: Minimum 18 years or older for solo travelers
- Minimum Age: 12 to 16 yrs if traveling with parents.
- Airlines: KLM, Delta, Emirates, Ethiopian and Qatar
- Vaccinations: Yellow Fever, Malaria (Malarone pills recommended), Hep A, typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov
- Program starts and ends in Arusha (JRO airport)
- Airport meet and greet. Afternoon city tour and orientation
- Monday to Friday volunteering. 30-40 hours per week
- Weekends free to sightseeing
- Typical shift work hours are 8am-12pm and 2pm-6pm
- Support: Local ABV Director support 24/7 during placement
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Accommodation: Volunteer House
- Meals: Breakfast and dinner daily
Flights to Tanzania. Entry Visa. Departure taxes. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet. Sightseeing.
Extra Paid Activities while in country:
- Masai Dance Lessons (1 ½ hrs Introduction, Sounds, Choreography, Practice) US$28
- Introduction Swahili (3 hours Basic level: greetings, daily living, Guide book and certification) US$30
- Masai Crafts (2 hours: craft material, bracelets) US$28
- Tanzania Cookery (3 ½ hours includes ingredients, recipe book and certificate) US$28