The Volta Region is the vast easterly area, bordering Togo, located about 3-4 hours from the Kotoka International Airport in Accra. This region of Ghana boosts an amazingly picturesque landscape from lush rolling hills to natural pools and lagoons. This region is also dominated by the river Volta and Lake Volta, a great fishing lake as well as a popular recreational area. Volta is famous for its festival, dances and ceremonies.
The people of the region are made up of Ewe, Adele, Nchumuru, Akpafu, Atwode and several other tribes, which reflect the rich diversity of history and culture of the ethnic life in the region. The Volta provides a bit of something for everyone. The beaches are some of the best in West Africa, there are caves and grottos, natural waterfalls, nature reserves, monkey villages, natural parks and colorful markets to explore.
To volunteer in Ghana is a great way to safely explore life in rural Africa, live and work amongst the locals and realize one person can make a difference.
- Volta placements transportation cost is $180 to be added to your invoice. This is a 4-5 hour journey which may include local bus/lake crossing weather dependent
Volunteer Opportunities: Social Programs
- Project Length: From 2 week to 8 weeks
- Arrival Airport: Accra (Code: ACC)
- Work Schedule: Monday to Friday 8 hours per day
- Requirements: Tourist Visa. Ground transportation cost $180
- Age Limits: Minimum 17yrs or older for solo travelers.
- Minimum Age: 12 to 16 yrs if traveling with parents.
- Airlines: British Air, Delta, United, KLM, Lufthansa
- Vaccinations: Yellow Fever, Malaria, Hep A, typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov
- Accommodation: Home Stay or onsite in Orphanage
- Meals: Breakfast, lunch and dinner daily
- Arrival: Airport meet and greet. Overnight in Accra.
- Orientation: Project Overview and Orientation
- Support: Pre-trip written guide, In-country ABV staff available 24/7
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Flights to Ghana. Entry Visa. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet