Lusaka is the colorful capital city that maintains a unique sense of African charm. The lively urban area is spread out over 30 miles with growing suburbs, shanty towns and large markets that are a hive of activity. The city has thousands of market stalls with fruit, fish, nuts, African art and clothing. Although the unemployment rate in the city is quite high, over 60%, there are few beggars and street crime. Most people try to make an honest living, selling their wares or services and are polite and friendly.
Because many villagers come to the city to seek a better life for their families, there is an extremely high number of street children, either orphaned or neglected. Children on the street lack access to food, protection, health care and education. This lack of education had debilitating effects on the community – children are not equipped with the tools to escape poverty and disease because they were unable to read, write, and calculate simple sums. In addition, youth are lacking the encouragement, competition, and social structure provided in school that allows them to maximize their human potential and realize their dreams.
Volunteer in Lusaka at a local school, youth center, prison project, orphanage or in a medical project.
- Project Length: From 1 week to 8 weeks
- Arrival Airport: Lusaka (Code: LUN)
- Work Schedule: Monday to Friday 8 hours per day
- Requirements: Tourist Visa
- Age Limits: Minimum 17yrs or older for solo travelers.
- Minimum Age: 12 to 16 yrs if traveling with parents.
- Airlines: South African Air, Ethiopian, Emirates, KLM and Delta
- Vaccinations: Typhoid, Malaria Medication, Hep A wwwnc.cdc.gov
- Accommodation: Home Stay
- Meals: Breakfast, lunch and dinner daily
- Arrival: Airport meet and greet by ABV Staff
- Orientation: Project Overview and Orientation
- Support: Pre-trip written guide, In-country ABV staff available 24/7
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Flights to Zambia. Entry Visa. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet
|Africa / US$|
A Broader View Volunteer (ABV) allows every traveler to choose their own program start date. This means you can arrive on any flight, any day of the week. Since ABV program fees are 100% tax deductible* we encourage you to fund raise. ABV offers advice and assistance with flight planning, affordable travel insurance, as well as procuring a visa, if necessary. Our ABV staff is available to any your questions. Contact us by email, through the on-line chat feature on our website or call us toll free at 866-423-3258.
WHAT DO MY FEES PAY FOR?
Volunteer Registration Fee – ongoing support from ABV staff, program marketing costs, information pack, administration costs, ABV donation Fund, travel costs to inspect programs and communication costs with volunteers.
Volunteer Program Fee – ABV donation fund, airport pick-up, orientation, program supervision, accommodation and meals during volunteer program period, in-country 24/7 volunteer support and in-country administration costs. As a US Non-Profit Charity Organization all your fees are tax deductible and you can fundraise from our website to pay for the fees.