Volunteer Zambia, Lusaka is the colorful capital city that maintains a unique sense of African charm. The lively urban area is spread out over 30 miles with growing suburbs, shanty towns and large markets that are a hive of activity. The city has thousands of market stalls with fruit, fish, nuts, African art and clothing. Although the unemployment rate in the city is quite high, over 60%, there are few beggars and street crime. Most people try to make an honest living, selling their wares or services and are polite and friendly.
Because many villagers come to the city to seek a better life for their families, there is an extremely high number of street children, either orphaned or neglected. Children on the street lack access to food, protection, health care and education. This lack of education had debilitating effects on the community – children are not equipped with the tools to escape poverty and disease because they were unable to read, write, and calculate simple sums. In addition, youth are lacking the encouragement, competition, and social structure provided in school that allows them to maximize their human potential and realize their dreams.
Volunteer in Lusaka at a local school, youth center, prison project, orphanage or in a medical project.
Volunteering Programs in Zambia Lusaka
- Project Length: From 1 week to 8 weeks
- Arrival Airport: Lusaka (Code: LUN)
- Work Schedule: Monday to Friday 8 hours per day
- Requirements: Tourist Visa
- Age Limits: Minimum 17yrs or older for solo travelers.
- Minimum Age: 12 to 16 yrs if traveling with parents.
- Airlines: South African Air, Ethiopian, Emirates, KLM and Delta
- Vaccinations: Typhoid, Malaria Medication, Hep A, Yellow Fever wwwnc.cdc.gov
- Accommodation: Home Stay
- Meals: Breakfast, lunch and dinner daily
- Arrival: Airport meet and greet by ABV Staff
- Orientation: Project Overview and Orientation
- Support: Pre-trip written guide, In-country ABV staff available 24/7
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Flights to Zambia. Entry Visa. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet