La Serena is Chile's second-oldest town and maintains its Spanish neo-colonial style seen throughout the neighborhoods and downtown. The city is dotted with beautiful green gardens, 30 churches, a romantic avenue of replica classical Italian statues and elegant colonial buildings. La Serena is a located about 250 miles north of the Chilean capital of Santiago (an hour flight or 6 hour overnight bus journey)
A Broader View Volunteers Abroad Gap Year Projects Overseas
From here you can reach the Elqui Valley, famous for producing "Pisco", (the traditional drink of choice in the Andes), and for being one of the world's major astronomical centers due to its clear skies (Tololo, Campanas and Silla Observatories).
Volunteer Opportunities: La Serena Programs
- Project length: From 1 week to 8 weeks
- Arrival airport: La Serena (LSC)
- Work schedule: Monday to Friday 7 to 8 hours per day
- Requirements: intermediate/basic Spanish or Spanish Immersion Lessons while in country and Police Check/Clearance report
- Age limits: Minimum 17yrs or older for solo travelers.
- Minimum Age: 12 to 16 yrs if traveling with parents.
- Airlines: Lan Chile, American, United, Delta, Iberia, Avianca
- Vaccinations: Routine Vac, Hep-A and Typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov
- Accommodation: Host Family
- Meals: Breakfast, lunch and dinner daily
- Arrival: Airport meet and greet by ABV Staff
- Orientation: Project Overview and City Tour/Orientation
- Support: Pre-departure helpdesk, Local Coordinator and 24hr emergency support
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Flights to Chile. Visas and/or entry-exit fees. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet
|South America / US$|
|Chile - Spanish Immersion||1140||1480||1820||2160|
Any extra week of “accommodation and meals” will be US$150/week after week 4 until week 12, more Spanish lessons can be paid locally to the coordinator.
|South America / US$|
The volunteer prices and the immersion prices are not combined, you choose from one or the other price.
A Broader View Volunteer (ABV) allows every traveler to choose their own program start date. This means you can arrive on any flight, any day of the week. Since ABV program fees are 100% tax deductible* we encourage you to fund raise. ABV offers advice and assistance with flight planning, affordable travel insurance, as well as procuring a visa, if necessary. Our ABV staff is available to any your questions. Contact us by email, through the on-line chat feature on our website or call us toll free at 866-423-3258.
WHAT DO MY FEES PAY FOR?
Volunteer Registration Fee – ongoing support from ABV staff, program marketing costs, information pack, administration costs, ABV donation Fund, travel costs to inspect programs and communication costs with volunteers.
Volunteer Program Fee – ABV donation fund, airport pick-up, orientation, program supervision, accommodation and meals during volunteer program period, in-country 24/7 volunteer support and in-country administration costs. As a US Non-Profit Charity Organization all your fees are tax deductible and you can fundraise from our website to pay for the fees.
Volunteer Reviews in Chile
Stephanie Volunteer Abroad in La Serena, Chile
Nemesia & Jo Lynch Volunteer in La Serena
Melanie Volunteer in La Serena, Chile
Alexandra Volunteer Abroad in La Serena, Chile
Hillary Volunteer Abroad in La Serena, Chile
Feedback Lorraine Guerrini Volunteer in La Serena, Chile
Feedback Agathe Kuhn Volunteer in La Serena, Chile
Feedback Bailey Katz Volunteer in La Serena, Chile
Review Rachel Carlson Volunteer in La Serena, Chile
Review Mattie W. Volunteer in La Serena, Chile