La Serena is Chile's second-oldest town and maintains its Spanish neo-colonial style seen throughout the neighborhoods and downtown. The city is dotted with beautiful green gardens, 30 churches, a romantic avenue of replica classical Italian statues and elegant colonial buildings. La Serena is a located about 250 miles north of the Chilean capital of Santiago (an hour flight or 6 hour overnight bus journey)
A Broader View Volunteers Abroad Gap Year Projects Overseas
From here you can reach the Elqui Valley, famous for producing "Pisco", (the traditional drink of choice in the Andes), and for being one of the world's major astronomical centers due to its clear skies (Tololo, Campanas and Silla Observatories).
Volunteer Opportunities: La Serena Programs
- Project length: From 1 week to 8 weeks
- Arrival airport: La Serena (LSC)
- Work schedule: Monday to Friday 7 to 8 hours per day
- Requirements: intermediate/basic Spanish or Spanish Immersion Lessons while in country and Police Check/Clearance report
- Age limits: Minimum 17yrs or older for solo travelers.
- Minimum Age: 12 to 16 yrs if traveling with parents.
- Airlines: Lan Chile, American, United, Delta, Iberia, Avianca
- Vaccinations: Routine Vac, Hep-A and Typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov
- Accommodation: Host Family
- Meals: Breakfast, lunch and dinner daily
- Arrival: Airport meet and greet by ABV Staff
- Orientation: Project Overview and City Tour/Orientation
- Support: Pre-departure helpdesk, Local Coordinator and 24hr emergency support
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Flights to Chile. Visas and/or entry-exit fees. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet