The Elderly Care Center is a non-profit organization created for the care and attention of low-income older people living in Cusco. Most of the residents have no other living options. Most of them have been abandoned by their own family. The home provides place to live, meals, clothing, medical treatment and therapy needs.
A Broader View Volunteers Abroad Gap Year Projects Overseas
Volunteers will help with recreational and cultural activities, help to prepare food, and feed some of the ladies and gentlemen. Help them to dress, bathe them or help them in their personal hygiene. Some -ladies/gentlemen- simply need people to talk to them, or read to them for a few hours or play cards or walk around the center. And we also need health care providers to help with the care of the people.
*This program can be combined with the medical projects, as volunteers are needed to provide health checks like checking blood pressures, sugar levels, administering medication and physical therapy needs.
Volunteer Opportunities: Social Welfare Programs
- Project length: From 1 week to 12 weeks
- Arrival airport: Cusco (CUZ) via Lima connection
- Work schedule: Monday to Friday 6 to 8 hours per day
- Requirements: Basic Spanish or Spanish Immersion Lessons
- Age limits: Minimum 17yrs or older for solo travelers.
- Minimum Age: 12 to 16 yrs if traveling with parents.
- Airlines: Lan Peru, American, Delta, Spirit, Copa, Taca, Iberia
- Vaccinations: Routine Vac, Hep-A and Typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov
- Post Family (Cusco)
- Meals: Breakfast, lunch and dinner daily
- Arrival: Airport meet and greet by ABV Staff
- Orientation: Project Overview and Cusco Tour/Orientation
- Support: Pre-departure helpdesk, Local Coordinator and 24hr emergency suppor
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Flights to Peru. Visas and/or entry-exit fees. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet