Volunteer Peru: Being able to speak English is a great way for children in Cusco Peru to evade a life of poverty. With Peru being one of the most visited tourist spots in South America, the growing tourism trade brings a lot of opportunities for English speaking locals. ABV teaching English programs are focused in Cusco’s Mariscal Gamarra neighborhood. Volunteers help at schools which are under resourced and lack dedicated English teachers
TEFL training is not a requirement, and in this program volunteers gain useful work experience by teaching abroad. Whether volunteering while on a gap year, over a vacation, or as a trained professional, you will have a significant role in our teaching project in Cusco Peru.
Schools in Peru close for two weeks around the end of July/beginning of August for winter break. Summer vacations are mid-December through early March. During this time volunteers help at the girl’s orphanage, at the special needs children’s center, or have language immersion lessons.
Support a local community kindergarten with a group of 30 children between the ages of 4 to 6 years old. These community schools face a massive challenge to keep their classes running, receiving very little support from the Peruvian state. But receiving ABV volunteers to assist in the classroom has been a huge help. Volunteers will assist with classroom activities and play time with the children. Since they are often lacking enough classroom space or playground areas, teaching supplies, volunteers need to be creative and come with ideas.
Primary School Program
Spanish speaking volunteers are needed at a local primary school in Mariscal Gamarra. Volunteers are welcome to create their own lessons plans and techniques, and will work under the direction of the local teacher. Classroom size range from 25 to 30 students, and volunteers are expected to work minimum 6 hours per day at the program. As a volunteer you will be involved in:
- Supporting the local teacher with English classes
- Create lessons ideas, and teaching games to engage the students
- Act as a tutor for children which require individualized attention
- Project length: From 2 weeks to 12 weeks
- Project dates: March to December, 2 week break in July
- Arrival airport: Cusco (CUZ)
- Accommodation: Local host family
- Requirements: Proficiency in Spanish or Spanish Immersion Lessons
- Program donation: US$50 payable with the program fees.
- Meals: Breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Airlines: Lan Peru, American, Delta, Spirit, Copa, Taca, Iberia
- Vaccinations: Routine Vac, Hep-A and Typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov
- Program starts and ends in Cusco
- Airport meet and greet in Cusco. Afternoon city tour and orientation
- Monday to Friday volunteering. 40 hours per week
- Weekends free to sightseeing
- Typical shift work hours are 7am-1pm and 3pm-5pm
- Support: Local ABV Director support 24/7 during placement
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Flights to Peru. Visas and/or entry-exit fees. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet