I really enjoyed my time in Cusco. I was pleasantly surprised by the friendliness of local people, as well as the beauty of the country.
1- How was the local ABV Coordinator/staff and the support provided in-country?
It was great! Beatriz was very helpful and always there to answer questions.
2- What was the most surprising thing you experienced? Name 2
- Program: Lack of structure in the health center.
- Host Family: How good the food was and how nice the family was.
- Country: How inexpensive everything was.
3- What was the most challenging thing you experienced?
- Program: Finding my role in the health center.
- Host Family: Difficult to communicate.
- Country: Lack of communication.
4- Any tips for future volunteers… (Clothing, travel, personal items, donations)
Bring more than US$200 recommended for souvenirs.
5- Other things volunteers should know before coming here:
Well Fargo cards do not work at ATMs here.
6- Personal Paragraph about the experience (ABV Program Testimonial):
I really enjoyed my time in Cusco. I was pleasantly surprised by the friendliness of local people, as well as the beauty of the country. I learned a lot and gained new perspectives by working at both the hospital and the orphanage. I am very grateful for this experience.
7- How would you describe your accommodation, meals, security, friendliness, quality, others.
All of the above was great! Accommodations and meals were amazing! I never felt unsafe. Everyone; even strangers, were very friendly!
8- What was your favorite memory of this trip?
- Program: Helping out at the orphanage. Interacting with the children.
- Host Family: Playing with the children and talking with the whole family. I couldn’t have picked a better host family!
- Country: I loved hanging out at Plaza de Armas. It was very unique and beautiful.
9- How was the ABV USA support prior traveling?
The chats and emails were both responded to quickly and all of our questions were answered.
9.1- What do you think about the reservation system online?
It was very informative
9.2- How did you find the Abroaderview website? (keywords, search engine, word mouth to mouth, recommended by … other.)
10 – Are you willing to speak to other potential ABV volunteers?