Overall it was a wonderful eye opening experience. We Learned so much about the culture
1- What’s was a daily schedule at the program, hours volunteered?
In the mornings we volunteered at the kindergarten classroom and dental/medical clinic from approximately 8 AM to 1 PM. In the afternoons we took one hour of Spanish grammar lessons and then 2 hours of Spanish lessons out walking around town. Our Spanish teacher was EXCELLENT!
2- What was the most surprising thing you experienced?
- Host Family: they didn’t have heat in the house so it was very cold at night, Peru don't use central heating.
- Program: everything was very flexible
- Country: it was very cold at night, bring warm Pj's
3.- What was the most challenging thing you experienced?
- Host Family: communication
- Program: communication
- Country: communication
4.- Any tips for future volunteers… (clothing, travel, personal items, donations, money, internet)
Bring very warm clothing and lots of layers. Have cash and small bills because many places do not take credit cards.
5.- Other things volunteers should know before coming here (besides Spanish):
- Host Family: they don’t really eat much for dinner ;)
- Program: help is very needed and greatly appreciated more at the medical/dental clinic than the kindergarten
- Country: the people are extremely friendly and kind
6.- Personal Paragraph about the experience (ABV Program Testimonial):
overall it was a wonderful eye opening experience. We Learned so much about the culture
7.- How would you describe your accommodation: meals, security, friendliness, quality others:
- Meals: 10 for breakfast and lunch however since they don’t really eat dinner , they have tea time!?, we went out to eat for dinner every night. The restaurants in town were wonderful
- Security: 10
- friendliness: 10
8.- How was the local ABV Coordinator/staff and the support provided in-country: Airport, orientation, introduction to the program, schedule of the program, friendliness, solving problems?
9.- Whats was a daily schedule at the program, hours volunteered, activities you did?
10.- What was your favorite memory of this trip?:
- Accommodation: having lunch with our host family
- Program: volunteering with the children and adults with disabilities at the the hospital
- Country: Exploring the town of Cusco, interacting with the locals and learning about the culture (we learned so much from our wonderful Spanish teacher) making life long friendships and going on unforgettable day trips such and Machu Picchu and rainbow mountain
11- How was the ABV USA support prior traveling?
12- Who did you find Abroaderview website ?
American Dental Association website
13- Are you willing to speak to other potential ABV volunteers?