Clinical placements are based in public hospitals, small clinics, and a regional hospital in Cusco. Volunteers seeking a hands on "clinical" experience are required to be healthcare professionals or currently enrolled medical/nursing/dental students - and provide us their credentials or current enrollment status information.
Video Review Students LSU Health Medical Program Peru Cusco
As a medical/nurse/dental volunteer you should expect to shadow, as well as have some hands on work. Expect to be part of a team. These program are as much about learning about universal health care, as it is to offer hands on assistance to the local medical staff who you will be working with.
Volunteer work may include taking vitals, attending rounds, charting patients, giving injections, providing general health checks, cleaning wounds, removing sutures, assisting in deliveries.
- Proficiency in Spanish is required for all healthcare placement. This project can be combined with our Language and Cultural Immersion.
- Project length: From 1 week to 12 weeks
- Project dates: Year round. Choose any date to arrive.
- Arrival airport: Cusco (CUZ)
- Accommodation: Local host family
- Meals: Breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Requirements: All clinic/hospital/medical placements include a administrative fee. $100 for one month, $200 for two months, $300 for three months.
- Vaccinations: Routine Vac, Hep-A and Typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov
- Program starts and ends in Cusco
- Airport meet and greet in Cusco. Afternoon city tour and orientation
- Monday to Friday volunteering. 40 hours per week
- Weekends free to sightseeing
- Typical shift work hours are 8am-12pm and 2pm-6pm
- Support: Local ABV Director support 24/7 during placement
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Flights to Peru. Visas and/or entry-exit fees. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet