- Published on Monday, October 01 2012 23:22
Clinical placements are based in public hospitals, small clinics, and a regional hospital in Cusco. Volunteers seeking a hands on "clinical" experience are required to be healthcare professionals or currently enrolled medical/nursing/dental students - and provide us their credentials or current enrollment status information. As a medical/nurse/dental volunteer you should expect to shadow, as well as have some hands on work. Expect to be part of a team. These program are as much about learning about universal health care, as it is to offer hands on assistance to the local medical staff who you will be working with.
Volunteer work may include taking vitals, attending rounds, charting patients, giving injections, providing general health checks, cleaning wounds, removing sutures, assisting in deliveries.
- Proficiency in Spanish is required for all healthcare placement. This project can be combined with our Language and Cultural Immersion.
- Project length: From 1 week to 12 weeks
- Project dates: Year round. Choose any date to arrive.
- Arrival airport: Cusco (CUZ)
- Accommodation: Local host family
- Meals: Breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Requirements: Medical placements require a $100 donation for the health care programs. Donations must be made in cash, paid locally on day one of the project.
- Program starts and ends in Cusco
- Airport meet and greet in Cusco. Afternoon city tour and orientation
- Monday to Friday volunteering. 40 hours per week
- Weekends free to sightseeing
- Typical shift work hours are 8am-12pm and 2pm-6pm
- Support: Local ABV Director support 24/7 during placement
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Flights to Peru. Visas and/or entry-exit fees. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet
The volunteer prices and the immersion prices are not combined, you choose from one or the other price.
|South America / US$|
|Peru - Spanish Immersion||995||1290||1530||1790|
Any extra week of “accommodation and meals” will be US$150/week after week 4 until week 12, more Spanish lessons can be paid locally to the coordinator.
A Broader View Volunteer (ABV) allows every traveler to choose their own program start date. This means you can arrive on any flight, any day of the week. Since ABV program fees are 100% tax deductible* we encourage you to fund raise. ABV offers advice and assistance with flight planning, affordable travel insurance, as well as procuring a visa, if necessary. Our ABV staff is available to any your questions. Contact us by email, through the on-line chat feature on our website or call us toll free at 866-423-3258.