A Broader View Volunteers thrives on the efforts of our volunteers. All of whom contribute to the current needs and ongoing health initiatives. Whether you're assisting a new mother in the hospital, giving health education to teenagers, observing surgery, your experience allows you to better understand the Peruvian healthcare system as well as contribute to the improvement of health in the Cusco community and surrounding areas.
Global Health Volunteer Program: Cusco Peru
A Broader View partners with local hospital directors and local health organizations in Cusco. We have built a partnership-based model in Cusco Peru to provide support with community outreach programs and preventative health education. ABV makes responsible contributions year-round to our local partners, and supports the local communities by using homestay accommodations.
To maximize your contribution, ABV will tailor your experience based on current needs, your interests, Spanish levels, training, and amount of time that you spend with us on-site in Cusco Peru.
Clinical Activities/Health Education/Special Initiatives in Cusco Peru
- Rounds with hospital staff
- Observing minor surgeries
- Direct patient care in elderly care centers
- Health screenings during community outreach days
- School based health education in local schools
- Orphanage education program (health/hygiene lessons)
We accept volunteers traveling individually as well as groups of various sizes. Spanish proficiency is recommended, but not required by ABV Volunteers. However, volunteers may find that any level of Spanish comprehension will enhance interactions with medical staff, patients, and community members. This program is suitable for physicians, physician assistants, licensed nurses, EMT trained volunteers.
- Project length: From 1 week to 12 weeks
- Project dates: Year round. Choose any date to arrive.
- Arrival airport: Cusco (CUZ)
- Accommodation: Local host family
- Meals: Breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Requirements: All clinic/hospital/medical placements include a administrative fee. $100 for one month, $200 for two months, $300 for three months.
- Vaccinations: Routine Vac, Hep-A and Typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov
- Program starts and ends in Cusco
- Airport meet and greet in Cusco. Afternoon city tour and orientation
- Monday to Friday volunteering. 40 hours per week
- Weekends free to sightseeing
- Typical shift work hours are 8am-12pm and 2pm-6pm
- Support: Local ABV Director support 24/7 during placement
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Flights to Peru. Visas and/or entry-exit fees. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet