The Inca Empire, with Lake Titiaca, Cuzco and Machu Picchu, the Andes, Amazonian rainforests, cloud people, coastal wildlife preserves and cosmopolitan cities are just some reasons to visit Peru.
Review: Grace Volunteer at Peru: Orphanage / Child Care
Although in recent years Peru has benefited from a rise in tourism offer some economic relief, millions of Peruvians live below the poverty line. More than half of the country's people struggle to survive, close to one fourth of the population live in extreme poverty. As a volunteer in our orphanage assistance project you spend your days interacting with the children, reading books, playing soccer and other games, helping with the vocational training like hand crafting or baking. One of our orphanage partner projects support children 0-5yrs old. Here ABV volunteers change diapers, bottle feed babies, help with activities and nap time also. Volunteering with children, of any age, can be a tiring and challenging experience - but very rewarding!
- Project length: From 1 week to 12 weeks
- Project dates: Year round. Choose any date to arrive.
- Requirements: Proficiency in Spanish or Spanish Immersion Lessons
- Program donation: US$50 payable with the program fees.
- Arrival airport: Cusco (CUZ)
- Accommodation: Local host family
- Meals: Breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Airlines: Lan Peru, American, Delta, Spirit, Copa, Taca, Iberia
- Vaccinations: Routine Vac, Hep-A and Typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov
- Program starts and ends in Cusco
- Airport meet and greet in Cusco. Afternoon city tour and orientation
- Monday to Friday volunteering. 40 hours per week
- Weekends free to sightseeing
- Typical shift work hours are 8am-12pm and 2pm-6pm
- Support: Local ABV Director support 24/7 during placement
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Flights to Peru. Visas and/or entry-exit fees. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet