Declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site, Cartagena is a charming walled city with massive fortifications, sea views, colonial architecture, cultural festivals and superb beach areas nearby. Due to its strategic location, Cartagena is a regular port of call for cruise liner, receiving up to 100 cruises during high season.
Despite the tourist trade and influx of travelers, there is real poverty in this city. Outside the Old Town are neighborhoods with extreme poverty. Children living in shambles, not attending school, vying for food by working on the streets trying to sell goods to the tourists. Poverty can lead not only to malnutrition, illness, delinquency, alcoholism and domestic violence, it also worsens environmental contamination. Volunteer in Colombia and support welfare programs in and around Cartagena in children's centers which provide education, food and care to the most vulnerable children.
Volunteer Opportunities Colombia: Social Programs
- Project length: From 2 week to 8 weeks
- Arrival Airport: Cartagena (CTG)
- Work Schedule: Monday to Friday 7-8 hours per day
- Requirements: Proficiency in Spanish or Spanish Immersion Lessons
- Age Limits: Minimum 18yrs or older for solo travelers.
- Minimum Age: 12 to 17 yrs if traveling with parents.
- Accommodation: Host Family
- Meals: Breakfast, lunch and dinner daily
- Arrival: Airport meet and greet by ABV Staff
- Orientation: Project Overview On-Site
- Support: Pre-trip written guide, In-country ABV staff available 24/7
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Flights to Colombia. Entry Visa. Departure taxes. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet