Declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site, Cartagena is a charming walled city with massive fortifications, sea views, colonial architecture, cultural festivals and superb beach areas nearby. Due to its strategic location, Cartagena is a regular port of call for cruise liner, receiving up to 100 cruises during high season.
Despite the tourist trade and influx of travelers, there is real poverty in this city. Outside the Old Town are neighborhoods with extreme poverty. Children living in shambles, not attending school, vying for food by working on the streets trying to sell goods to the tourists. Poverty can lead not only to malnutrition, illness, delinquency, alcoholism and domestic violence, it also worsens environmental contamination. Volunteer in Colombia and support welfare programs in and around Cartagena in children's centers which provide education, food and care to the most vulnerable children.
Volunteer Opportunities Colombia: Social Programs
- Project length: From 2 week to 8 weeks
- Arrival Airport: Cartagena (CTG)
- Work Schedule: Monday to Friday 7-8 hours per day
- Requirements: Proficiency in Spanish or Spanish Immersion Lessons
- Age Limits: Minimum 18yrs or older for solo travelers.
- Minimum Age: 12 to 17 yrs if traveling with parents.
- Accommodation: Host Family
- Meals: Breakfast, lunch and dinner daily
- Arrival: Airport meet and greet by ABV Staff
- Orientation: Project Overview On-Site
- Support: Pre-trip written guide, In-country ABV staff available 24/7
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Flights to Colombia. Entry Visa. Departure taxes. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet
|South America / US$|
|Colombia - Spanish Immersion||995||1290||1530||1790|
Any extra week of “accommodation and meals” will be US$150/week after week 4 until week 12, more Spanish lessons can be paid locally to the coordinator.
|South America / US$|
The volunteer prices and the immersion prices are not combined, you choose from one or the other price.
A Broader View Volunteer (ABV) allows every traveler to choose their own program start date. This means you can arrive on any flight, any day of the week. Since ABV program fees are 100% tax deductible* we encourage you to fund raise. ABV offers advice and assistance with flight planning, affordable travel insurance, as well as procuring a visa, if necessary. Our ABV staff is available to any your questions. Contact us by email, through the on-line chat feature on our website or call us toll free at 866-423-3258.
WHAT DO MY FEES PAY FOR?
Volunteer Registration Fee – ongoing support from ABV staff, program marketing costs, information pack, administration costs, ABV donation Fund, travel costs to inspect programs and communication costs with volunteers.
Volunteer Program Fee – ABV donation fund, airport pick-up, orientation, program supervision, accommodation and meals during volunteer program period, in-country 24/7 volunteer support and in-country administration costs. As a US Non-Profit Charity Organization all your fees are tax deductible and you can fundraise from our website to pay for the fees.