The name of Escazu comes from the indigenous voice ‘Iz-Kat-Zú’, which means ‘place to rest’, the town also known as San Miguel de Escazú.
Located just 15 minutes southwest of San José and 25 minutes from the airport, is part of the metropolitan area of San Jose Surrounded by mountains.
One of the most anticipated celebrations of Escazú is the ‘Dia del Boyero’, where carts, from different parts of the country that are colorfuly and cleverly hand painted, travel by oxen from the center all the way to the church of San Antonio. The carts generally carry children dressed up in traditional costumes. The cart is considered a national symbol.
The great celebration includes classic Costa Rican food and traditional musical performance.
It’s rather interesting that this area was given the nickname of ‘Ciudad de las Brujas’ meaning the city of Witches; this supposedly comes out of tribute to the areas mystical history, steeped in myth and lore.
However, it is important to say that in spite of the modernism of this growing city, you can also appreciate, mostly in the center, small old adobe style houses and see horses on the streets, which add a rustic, colonial flavor to Escazu
Volunteer Abroad: Costa Rica Escazu
- Project length: From 1 weeks to 6 weeks.
- Arrival Airport: San Jose (SJO) Juan Santamaría International Airport.
- Work Schedule: Monday to Fridays. Minimum 6 hours per day.
- Basic Spanish, independent bus ride to/from project site
- Age Limits: Minimum 18 years or older for solo travelers
- Minimum Age: 12 to 17 years if traveling with parents.
- Airlines: American, United, Delta, US Airways, Copa, Taca, Avianca, Spirit Airways.
- Vaccinations: Routine Vac, Hep-A and Typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov/
- Accommodation: Host Families.
- Meals: Breakfast, lunch and dinner are included.
- Arrival: Airport (SJO) meet and greet by ABV Staff and Airport transfer on arrival to San Jose
- Orientation: Orientation upon arrival.
- Support: Full time in-country ABV Coordinator. 24/7 emergency contact number.
- Departure: Transfer back to the airport at the end of the program
- Flights. Entry Visa. Departure taxes. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance (US$53 approx). Internet & Laundry: only available in some host families:US$10 a week). Any extra activities and excursions or tours not described on the planned itinerary.