This program is ideal for compassionate volunteers who want to help teens and adults who have a range of physical and intelectual disabilities.
This Center is a meeting place where special needs community members, and their families can come and socialize with each other. The center is open Monday to Friday from 8:00AM - 2:00PM and as different activities such as jewelry making, music therapy, art and drawing lessons, sports, popular dance and handicrafts.
Volunteers contribute by helping with physical therapy, interaction with the staff, creating activites, and socializing with patients and their families. This program can be easily combined with language immersion lessons.
Volunteer Abroad: Special Needs Center
- Project length: From 1 week to 6 weeks.
- Program Closed: July 1st to 15th , and 24-25 December and December 30 to 1st January
- Arrival Airport: San Jose (SJO) Juan Santamaría International Airport.
- Work Schedule: From Monday to Friday. Minimum 6 hours per day.
- Requirements: Basic Spanish, independent bus ride to/from project site. US$50 donation.
- Age Limits: 18 years or older for solo travelers.
- Airlines: American, United, Delta, US Airways, Copa, Taca, Avianca, Spirit Airways.
- Vaccinations: Routine Vac, Hep-A and Typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov/
- Accommodation: Host Families.
- Meals: Breakfast, lunch and dinner are included.
- Arrival: Airport (SJO) meet and greet by ABV Staff and Airport transfer on arrival to San Jose
- Orientation: Orientation upon arrival.
- Support: Full time in-country ABV Coordinator. 24/7 emergency contact number.
- Departure: Transfer back to the airport at the end of the program.
- Flights. Entry Visa. Departure taxes. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance (US$53 approx). Internet & Laundry optional: only available in some host families: US$10 a week). Any extra activities and excursions or tours not described on the planned itinerary. US$50 donation paid over the total fee.