As in most societies around the world, caring for the elderly is left to social welfare institutions when their own families cannot care for them. Many of the elderly care centers support those with disabilities, those who have been abandoned or have mental illness such as Alzheimer’s.
Volunteer work varies from day to day but focuses on personal interactions and stimulation with the residents, feeding, therapy needs, as well as light maintenance jobs like sweeping, cleaning.
The ages of the residents range between 67 – 111 years old! The home seeks to distribute food, clothing and medicine to those in need whilst trying to keep an adequate standard of living for the elderly. It is necessary for staff to keep fully updated in regards to all safety conditions applicable to the elderly residents as there are a wide range of health conditions and each individual may have different requirements.
The ways in which you can help like volunteer are:
- Meals times – most residents will need to be hand-fed.
- Specialized therapeutic care. Occupational therapy.
- Recreation and culture needs: Spiritual growth. Reading books, talking together
- Nursing care available 24/7.
Volunteer Abroad: Senior Care Center
- Project length: From 1 week to 6 weeks.
- Arrival Airport: San Jose (SJO) Juan Santamaría International Airport.
- Work Schedule: From Monday to Friday. Minimum 6 hours per day.
- Requirements: Basic Spanish, independent bus ride to/from project site. US$50 donation.
- Age Limits: 18 years or older for solo travelers.
- Airlines: American, United, Delta, US Airways, Copa, Taca, Avianca, Spirit Airways.
- Vaccinations: Routine Vac, Hep-A and Typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov/
- Accommodation: Host Families.
- Meals: Breakfast, lunch and dinner are included.
- Arrival: Airport (SJO) meet and greet by ABV Staff and Airport transfer on arrival to San Jose
- Orientation: Orientation upon arrival.
- Support: Full time in-country ABV Coordinator. 24/7 emergency contact number.
- Departure: Transfer back to the airport at the end of the program.
- Flights. Entry Visa. Departure taxes. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance (US$53 approx). Internet & Laundry optional: only available in some host families: US$10 a week). Any extra activities and excursions or tours not described on the planned itinerary.