Volunteers are needed and welcome at this transitional shelter for children with chronic illness. The care center can accommodate 25 children, most of whom suffer from burns, healing from a transplant, awaiting surgery or are being treated for chronic disease. Patients from the National Children’s hospital are referred here to avoid prolonged hospitalization, and also provide housing for those coming from rural areas.
The place has large green areas and provides a serene environment for sick children. Each family is provided support through nursing, nutritionists, psychological, pharmacy according to the clinical picture of the child. This help includes food, clothing, literacy, recreation, training and emotional support to the patients and their families.
Pre-medical volunteers have the opportunity to assist the nursing staff with non-evasive procedures, shadow during examinations, and learn about treating long term chronic illnesses in children. Your role will vary providing care, feeding, interaction with the children, as well collaborating with the staff and teachers on their daily activities. This can be a challenging program but all help is needed.
If you are a pre-medical, pre- nursing or public health major seriously considering a health career, this is a perfect project to gain first hand knowledge of medical standards in developing communities in Costa Rica. This program can be combined with language immersion lessons.
Volunteer Abroad: Pre-Medical Program
- Project length: From 1 week to 6 weeks.
- Arrival Airport: San Jose (SJO) Juan Santamaría International Airport.
- Work Schedule: From Monday to Friday. Minimum 6 hours per day.
- Requirements: Basic Spanish, independent bus ride to/from project site. US$50 donation.
- Age Limits: 18 years or older for solo travelers.
- Airlines: American, United, Delta, US Airways, Copa, Taca, Avianca, Spirit Airways.
- Vaccinations: Routine Vac, Hep-A and Typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov/
- Accommodation: Host Families.
- Meals: Breakfast, lunch and dinner are included.
- Internet: available in some host families and projects. Use cybercafés in town.
- Arrival: Airport (SJO) meet and greet by ABV Staff and Airport transfer on arrival to San Jose
- Orientation: Orientation upon arrival.
- Support: Full time in-country ABV Coordinator. 24/7 emergency contact number.
- Departure: Transfer back to the airport at the end of the program.
- Flights. Entry Visa. Departure taxes. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance (US$53 approx). Internet & Laundry optional: only available in some host families: US$10 a week). Any extra activities and excursions or tours not described on the planned itinerary. US$50 donation paid over the total fee.
|Central America / US$|
The volunteer prices and the immersion prices are not combined, you choose from one or the other price.
|Central America / US$|
|Costa Rica - Spanish Immersion||1070||1375||1685||1995|
Any extra week of “accommodation and meals” will be US$150/week after week 4 until week 6, more Spanish lessons can be paid locally to the coordinator.
A Broader View Volunteer (ABV) allows every traveler to choose their own program start date. This means you can arrive on any flight, any day of the week. Since ABV program fees are 100% tax deductible* we encourage you to fund raise. ABV offers advice and assistance with flight planning, affordable travel insurance, as well as procuring a visa, if necessary. Our ABV staff is available to any your questions. Contact us by email, through the on-line chat feature on our website or call us toll free at 866-423-3258.
WHAT DO MY FEES PAY FOR?
Volunteer Registration Fee – ongoing support from ABV staff, program marketing costs, information pack, administration costs, ABV donation Fund, travel costs to inspect programs and communication costs with volunteers.
Volunteer Program Fee – ABV donation fund, airport pick-up, orientation, program supervision, accommodation and meals during volunteer program period, in-country 24/7 volunteer support and in-country administration costs. As a US Non-Profit Charity Organization all your fees are tax deductible and you can fundraise from our website to pay for the fees.