This is a challenging but rewarding special needs school project that caters to children with development delays as well as vision and hearing impairments. There are several students who are deaf, and sign language is commonly used to help communicate with the children. Some of the children live with autism, Down’s syndrome and are being provided speech therapy.
The children are separated into small departments, classes of 5-6 students per group, and focus on hearing impaired, visually impaired and also mentally impaired children. The school is supporting over 200 per year with the majority of work with kids 4 years - 12 years old. Volunteers are needed to help with this personal interaction with the children. Volunteers can also work with speech therapy, language and physical therapy.
This project can be combined with the Spanish Language Immersion option.
School semesters from March-June, and then August through end of November.
Important: Arrival flights must be before 10pm (no exceptions) to San Jose and departure flight should be after 1pm.
Volunteer Opportunities: Special Needs Teaching
- Project length: From 1 weeks to 6 weeks
- Arrival Airport: San Jose (SJO) Juan Santamaría International Airport.
- Work Schedule: 8:30am-1:00pm, 1:30pm-3:00pm
- Requirements: Basic Spanish,
- Age Limits: Minimum 18 years or older for solo travelers.
- Airlines: American, United, Delta, US Airways, Copa, Taca, Avianca, Spirit Airways.
- Vaccinations: Routine Vac, Hep-A and Typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov/
- Accommodation: Host Families.
- Meals: Breakfast, lunch and dinner are included.
- Arrival: Airport (SJO). Meet and greet by ABV Staff and transfer to host family.
- Orientation: Orientation upon arrival.
- Support: Full time in-country ABV Coordinator. 24 hour emergency contact number.
- Departure: Transfer back to the airport at the end of the program.
- Flights. Entry Visa. Departure taxes. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet. Any extra activities and excursions or tours not described on the planned itinerary.