"This experience was one that I will never forget. The support while in Costa Rica was magnificent"
The Children’s Museum of Costa Rica is a first of it's kind in Central America. Created to help children and their families enjoy, understand and become active citizens of the world in which they live. The Museum encourages imagination, curiosity, investigation, innovation, and play. Set in the old military prison, just north of downtown San Jose, this is a wonderful education institution that is a pacesetter for children's programs and exhibits.
Volunteers work side by side the local staff to encourage hands-on play and allow children to learn and experience science, music, geography and other subjects. Volunteers will work with the visitors and help to explain the exhibits, also can help with setting up displays, assisting with guided tours. Work hours are approximately 830am-13:00pm, 13:30pm-15:00pm Monday through Thursday.
Important: Arrival flights must be before 10pm (no exceptions) to San Jose and departure flight should be after 1pm.
Volunteer Opportunities: Museum Assistant program
- Project length: From 2 weeks to 12 weeks
- Arrival Airport: San Jose (SJO) Juan Santamaría International Airport.
- Work Schedule: 8:30 to 15:00PM with break for lunch.
- Requirements: Proficient Spanish, independent bus ride to/from project site.
- Age Limits: Minimum 18 years or older for solo travelers.
- Airlines: American, United, Delta, US Airways, Copa, Taca, Avianca, Spirit Airways.
- Vaccinations: Routine Vac, Hep-A and Typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov/
- Accommodation: Host Families.
- Meals: Breakfast, lunch and dinner are included.
- Arrival: Airport (SJO). Meet and greet by ABV Staff and transfer to host family.
- Orientation: Orientation upon arrival.
- Support: Full time in-country ABV Coordinator. 24 hour emergency contact number.
- Departure: Transfer back to the airport at the end of the program.
- Flights. Entry Visa. Departure taxes. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet. Any extra activities and excursions or tours not described on the planned itinerary.
|Central America / US$|
The volunteer prices and the immersion prices are not combined, you choose from one or the other price.
|Central America / US$|
|Costa Rica - Spanish Immersion||1070||1375||1685||1995|
Any extra week of “accommodation and meals” will be US$150/week after week 4 until week 6, more Spanish lessons can be paid locally to the coordinator.
A Broader View Volunteer (ABV) allows every traveler to choose their own program start date. This means you can arrive on any flight, any day of the week. Since ABV program fees are 100% tax deductible* we encourage you to fund raise. ABV offers advice and assistance with flight planning, affordable travel insurance, as well as procuring a visa, if necessary. Our ABV staff is available to any your questions. Contact us by email, through the on-line chat feature on our website or call us toll free at 866-423-3258.
WHAT DO MY FEES PAY FOR?
Volunteer Registration Fee – ongoing support from ABV staff, program marketing costs, information pack, administration costs, ABV donation Fund, travel costs to inspect programs and communication costs with volunteers.
Volunteer Program Fee – ABV donation fund, airport pick-up, orientation, program supervision, accommodation and meals during volunteer program period, in-country 24/7 volunteer support and in-country administration costs. As a US Non-Profit Charity Organization all your fees are tax deductible and you can fundraise from our website to pay for the fees.