The Elder Center home receives some government funding, but they operate on a tight budget and are in constant need of extra assistance and donations. The residents at the home are age sixty-five and up, and come from all walks of life.
In traditional Costa Rican culture, their families care for senior citizens. Economic and social changes have made this tradition difficult to carry on, and elders in Costa Rica now often live in assisted-living facilities, many of which are understaffed and short on resources.
Responsibilities vary, and some tasks depend upon the volunteer’s knowledge and experience of healthcare and working with the elderly. Common tasks range anywhere from playing games, sharing stories, and practicing english with the senior citizens, to assisting nursing staff with distributing medicine, seeing to the needs of the residents, and helping with the day-to-day maintenance of the facility. By assisting with these projects, participants can make a difference to the elderly of Costa Rica and to the staff who work with them, while forming a lasting connection to the local community.
Important: Arrival flights must be before 10pm (no exceptions) to San Jose and departure flight should be after 1pm. Night flights will delay the start of your program by one day.
- Project length: From 1 weeks to 6 weeks
- Arrival Airport: San Jose (SJO) Juan Santamaría International Airport.
- Work Schedule: From 9am-4pm daily
- Requirements: Basic Spanish, independent bus ride to/from project site.
- Age Limits: Minimum 18 years or older for solo travelers.
- Minimum Age: 12 to 17 years if traveling with parents.
- Airlines: American, United, Delta, US Airways, Copa, Taca, Avianca, Spirit Airways.
- Vaccinations: Routine Vac, Hep-A and Typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov/
- Accommodation: Shared bedrooms, bathrooms with hot water, a common room, Kitchen and a laundry room.
- Meals: Breakfast, lunch and dinner are included at host families.
- Arrival: Airport (SJO) meet and greet by ABV Staff and Airport transfer on arrival to San Jose
- Orientation: Orientation upon arrival.
- Support: full on-site support and assistance. On-site 24-hour emergency contact number.
- Flights. Entry Visa. Departure taxes. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet. All items of personal nature. Any extra activities and excursions or tours not described on the planned itinerary.