La Ceiba is the capital of Atlantida, which is the gateway to the Bay Islands. Our programs are located in the town of La Ceiba which is a typically coastal town with a mix of Latin, Caribbean and Afro-Antillean culture. The economy thrives on tourism as well as local plantations of pineapple and palms and bananas.
La Ceiba offers a lot to a traveler. With its close proximity to Pico Bonito Natural Park, marine reserves and wildlife refuge, it has the potential to develop into a major ecotourism spot in Central America. La Ceiba is famous for its Carnival week, which takes place during the Month of May to celebrate the patron saint, San Isidro. This is without doubt the largest and most important celebration held regularly in Central America.
Volunteer Opportunities Honduras: La Ceiba
- Project length: From 1 week to 12 weeks
- Arrival Airport: La Ceiba (LCE)
- Airlines: Taca, Air Viva, Cayman Air
- Work Schedule: Monday to Friday 8 hours per day
- Requirements: Proficiency in Spanish or Spanish Immersion Lessons
- Age Limits: Minimum 18yrs or older for solo travelers.
- Minimum Age: 12 to 16 yrs if traveling with parents.
- Accommodation: Host Families
- Meals: Breakfast, lunch and dinner daily
- Arrival: Airport meet and greet by ABV Staff
- Orientation: Project Overview and La Ceiba Orientation
- Support: Pre-trip written guide, In-country ABV staff available 24/7
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Flights to La Ceiba. Entry Visa. Departure taxes. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet